Re: SOCAL OBSERVATIONS FOR BOB2 Hoax? Not an economic hoax...
Author: BOB2
Date: 03-12-2020 - 11:55

Every COSTCO in SOCAL is a zoo of hundreds in panic. The lines are around the buildings before they even open only to find NO product inside.

I saw kind of the same thing yesterday at my local Ralphs, where there were a fair number of folks "stocking up" but with no supply shortages.

-It was rush hour bumper to bumper on the 405 south El Segundo to Costa Mesa yesterday afternoon. So nothing has changed on the "freeway" yet.

That's what's called anectdotal evidence, and is an observation of that congested condition, (with actually less vehicle flow, per, hour per lane), and not a "count".

-OCTA bus loads look normal

Looks can be deceiving. That's why I prefer count things and measure things... How many folks are "normally" on the bus....? But, I've noticed that our local buses also appear to had a fair number of folks on board, and waiting at stops, when I was out yesterday.

-I am starting to get a hoax feeling about this since I don't see Disneyland, Knott's or the Getty shutting down for at least 30 days.

I'm not, I was at a briefing on Monday, and what it was a little scary was that most of our local health and medical folks, still could not get adequate tests, and still could not tell the folks there much about where this might be going, but that they were preparing for a "worst case" scenario, and that we already had untested people under voluntary quarantine.

And, if I just got this right, I just watched the Kathryn Barger, basically tell all folks in LA County that the emergency state 250 person event rule applies to everybody in LA County...

So "hoax"....? Maybe to some folks... As go the Lakers, so will probably soon go Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, and possibly the Getty, probably depending on crowd size and/or crowd flow.

-I got an email from Amtrak yesterday that they will cancel trains on the NEC,yet the smurfliner was packed (as usual) heading South from LAUPT last night.

LA traffic still sucks at rush hour, even if it is off by 5% or 10% (the "length" of rush hour congestion and the "counts" will show if there has been a reduction in trips being made) , and the I-5 is will still be the most congested intercity corridor in the US, so that is kind of good news,

-Same amount of jet traffic at John Wayne. Normal. Nothing strange to report.

John Wayne is one of the smallest volume airports in Sou Cal due to limited capacity. Not so at LAX, where both domestic and foreign travel numbers have tumbled.. Live quote from Channel 5 news "LAX workers have never seen it this empty..."

-Google traffic map has red spots (rain chaos). Normal.

As the guy who geolocated many of those red dots you're looking at on the maps, for the traffic ISP's way back in '02, to align the maps with the Caltrans loop detectors, you need to understand that the red dots are interpolation of speeds, from count rates, not the counts themselves, and that the reason they are read is because we have detected a loss of "flow rate"....

My anectdotal observation, as I don't go out on the freeways at peak times anymore, unless hell freezes over, is that I noticed there seemed to be a lot less midday traffic up on the 210, yesterday afternoon, than I usually encounter (Sunday morning "lite").

Mouse's piece about the drop on "evil" BARTD due to the "wide gauge" "panic", is being reported on other transit systems, this is also very likely to affect off peak and weekend numbers. I expect that cancellations of things like the Lakers games and other downtown events, and less folks "going to events" already, as we saw at the LA Marathon this weekend, will likely be seen in Metro numbers.

Hoax? It's definitely not an economic hoax... This is already looking at least as bad for the airline industry than 9/11... And, Norwegian Cruise Lines just sent me an offer in yesterday's mail that offered me 30% off all cruises, and 50% off all deposits... Then, yesterday, cancelled all cruise's for at least the next 60 days...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Winterail Drew Jacksich 03-11-2020 - 23:21
  Re: Winterail LOL 03-12-2020 - 05:12
  Re: Winterail WAF 03-12-2020 - 07:01
  Re: Winterail Wuhan Hunan 03-12-2020 - 07:18
  Re: Winterail WAF 03-12-2020 - 14:10
  Re: Winterail HoaxBuster 03-12-2020 - 18:04
  Re: Winterail HoaxBuster 03-12-2020 - 19:47
  Re: Winterail Boberama 03-12-2020 - 21:22
  Re: Winterail.....? Least of our worries this morning...? On-line? BOB2 03-12-2020 - 07:32
  Re: Winterail.....? Least of our worries this morning...? On-line? Mr. Bigglesworth 03-12-2020 - 08:51
  Re: Winterail.....? Least of our worries this morning...? On-line? Jim Speaker 03-12-2020 - 09:31
  Re: Winterail.....? Least of our worries this morning...? And, yeah, TEU's are reportedly down even more, but they already were down on RR's.... BOB2 03-12-2020 - 10:07
  SOCAL OBSERVATIONS FOR BOB2 Beauregard 03-12-2020 - 11:05
  Re: SOCAL OBSERVATIONS FOR BOB2 Hoax? Not an economic hoax... BOB2 03-12-2020 - 11:55
  Re: SOCAL OBSERVATIONS FOR BOB2 Hoax? Not an economic hoax... Mr. Bigglesworth 03-12-2020 - 12:03
  Re: SOCAL OBSERVATIONS FOR BOB2 The Good News...? BOB2 03-12-2020 - 12:21
  Re: Winterail.....? Least of our worries this morning...? On-line? Bon Mot 03-12-2020 - 09:59
  Re: Winterail.....? Least of our worries this morning...? On-line? OPRRMS 03-12-2020 - 10:11
  Re: Winterail.....? Least of our worries this morning...? On-line? Tunnel Rat 03-12-2020 - 11:42
  Re: Winterail.....? Least of our worries this morning...? On-line? HUTCH 7.62 03-12-2020 - 12:18

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com