Re: Big Ben, where is she today?
Author: Topfuel
Date: 02-22-2007 - 05:15

I take some exception to the comment that the D&RGW "butchered the observation end to install a diaphram....". In fact, they actually did a fairly clean job with this conversion. One may object to the rather boxy look of the finished product, but at least one of the other 2 cars (the former Autoliner "Linoma") has had this retrofit removed a few years ago to expose the original rounded end and there is very little damage that was done to the obs end by the Rio Grande when installing the retrofitted end.

The Big Ben was actually named after the son of the owners of Butterworth Tours, Ben Butterworth, who has gone on to fame and fortune as one of the more prominent PV owners and operators in the US, as well as being a part owner of Illinois Transit Co.

The C&O Historical Society sold the Big Ben several years ago to a private party from New Orleans. I do not know why C&OHS sold the car, but I'm sure it brought in some much-needed revenue, and plus they have evidently made a decision some years ago to thin out their collection of 12" to the foot scale rolling stock. I understand the car is now stored in Iowa awaiting rebuilding.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Big Ben, where is she today? Marty Bernard 02-21-2007 - 12:44
  Re: Big Ben, where is she today? Scott Schiechl 02-21-2007 - 13:49
  Re: Big Ben, where is she today? Marty Bernard 02-21-2007 - 17:07
  Re: Big Ben, where is she today? Topfuel 02-22-2007 - 05:15
  Re: Big Ben, where is she today? Jonathan J. Boyle, Sr. 03-06-2008 - 13:32
  The seven signs along the Santa Fe route TJ Goodrich 06-26-2008 - 14:07

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com