Question about historical signaling
Author: Lifelong
Date: 05-31-2020 - 07:51

Hi, can someone help me answer a life long question I’ve had, I grew up along the ATSF Second District (Pasadena-Monrovia-Pomona, etc.). My dad would drive me along Duarte Rd through Duarte and Monrovia, CA, then we’d go onto the 210 freeway so we could see if any trains were coming. Memories for sure.

As a kid who was very curious, I noticed signals were always lit GREEN. I seem to remember this clearly for many years, they were GREEN whether there was a train in the vicinity or not. (of course, they would turn red if needed).

Then suddenly, around the mid 1980s, they all went dark. And they would only turn green when a train was approaching (or red if one was coming). Later as I grew up, I found out this is Automatic Block Signaling (ABS)?. My life long answer I’d like to know was there ever a time that signals were always turned on green at all times? Maybe someone with knowledge of this line can help me answer this. I hope I’m making sense.

Please look at this video: [youtu.be], go to 1:30-1:31. After this eastbound ATSF passenger train passes, you can see the signal is lit already lit green.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Question about historical signaling Lifelong 05-31-2020 - 07:51
  Re: Question about historical signaling Dr Zarkoff 05-31-2020 - 09:12
  Re: Question about historical signaling Vague memory 05-31-2020 - 09:31
  Re: Question about historical signaling tundraboomer 05-31-2020 - 10:11
  Re: Question about historical signaling Lifelong 05-31-2020 - 10:08
  2nd District heaven.... You're my hero Ferris Bueller... BOB2 05-31-2020 - 11:49
  Re: 2nd District heaven.... You're my hero Ferris Bueller... George Andrews 05-31-2020 - 11:53
  How many SF passenger trains out of LA in the 50's? Mr. Belen 05-31-2020 - 17:02
  Re: How many SF passenger trains out of LA in the 50's? BOB2 05-31-2020 - 18:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com