Re: A Film for George Andrews
Author: George Andrews
Date: 06-22-2020 - 20:59

LONG HAUL ??? An Interesting title -- for an Island only Eight Hundred Miles in Length -- Including Scotland !!! ( That's less than 2 DAYS driving here in The Colonies. ) I haven't the time right now to view the entire Film; but a few items of interest already:
At 3 Minute Mark -- It's Floyd The Barber from The Andy Griffith Show !!!
At 5 Minute 39 Second Mark -- 85K miles in EIGHTEEN MONTHS ??? And they're PULLING the ENGINE ??? That's fine British Engineering for you. Here In The Colonies, your diesel engine had better last At Least Half - A Million Miles before an In - Frame.
At 10 Minutes 45 Seconds -- SWING - AWAY Landing Gear !!! An Accident waiting to Happen !!! This style of landing was popular in The Colonies ... until After The WAR !!! Espee / PMT and Alpha Beta used a similar system into the 1960's at least, but with a difference : The U.S. systems I've seen used a slot in the trailer floor, and a double - headed kingpin in the tractor fifth wheel. You simply ( ??? ) guide the kingpin into the flared slot in the trailer front, and the force of the tractor swings the landing gear UP & away !!! And hopefully the opposite is true when DROPPING ( so to speak ) the trailer !!! I haven't seen this deal up - close, so I don't know how a driver would Pull the Release latch on the trailer.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  A Film for George Andrews Pdxrailtransit 06-22-2020 - 11:19
  Re: A Film for George Andrews George Andrews 06-22-2020 - 20:59

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com