Re: Emergency services
Author: DCMcGill
Date: 02-24-2007 - 09:10

As a Fire Captain in a Emergency Command Center in California, I have at times had to call train dispatchers to report railroad emergencies. I will be the first to tell you that the vast majority of emergency dispatchers do not get any training in reporting railroad emergencies or even knowing which railroad is which, let alone unique railroad locations. The railroads really don't operate with a street and cross street like the rest of the world.

Conversely, trying to explain to some railroad dispatchers in Nebraska who you are and what you are reporting is just as frustrating.

When you dial 911 on your cell phone do you know where that call is answered? In California it could be several hundred miles away in a distant CHP dispatch center. I recommend to my friends and family to program into their cell phones the 7-digit emergency number (all emergency dispatch centers in California are required to maintain them as a back-up to the 911 system)for police and fire, for all areas in which you normally are. This will allow you to bypass being put on hold by CHP dispatchers. Also, cell tower technology in some areas is now automatically placing your 911 call to the emergency dispatcher that has jurisdiction for that cell tower. But this technology is still developing and many places still do not have it, so you are routed to the nearest CHP dispatch center.

Be safe...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Emergency services Dick Seelye 02-23-2007 - 18:34
  Re: Emergency services Craig Tambo 02-23-2007 - 23:19
  Re: Emergency services almo 02-24-2007 - 00:21
  Re: Emergency services Andy 02-24-2007 - 02:47
  Re: Emergency services DCMcGill 02-24-2007 - 09:10
  Re: Emergency services Ernest H. Robl 02-24-2007 - 09:23
  Re: Emergency services mike b 02-24-2007 - 19:24
  Re: Emergency services Ross Hall 02-26-2007 - 10:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com