Re: UP in Kellogg, ID, '68
Author: BTW
Date: 10-05-2020 - 06:58

I've ridden trains out of that depot twice, back in the '80's. The first time was a happy accident, and the second time was on purpose.

The first time, my cousin, a friend and I decided to walk down to the depot to see the Mullan Turn come in. Before it arrived, the stationmaster walked out and asked if we were the kids that were taking the train to Mullan. We said 'sure' and that was that. The train stopped and we boarded the second unit (GP-38) for a cab ride up the valley. They dropped us off at the gas station in Mullan, which incidentally used to be the depot. We then had to call my uncle to come get us.

My uncle was the owner/publisher of the Kellogg Evening News. So the second trip I made was a photographer's assignment. There was a local story of a dog that liked to chase and try to stop the local going up to the Hecla Mine at Burke. My uncle handed me a camera and dropped me off at the Kellogg depot. I rode the second unit up to Wallace, then moved to the caboose. Just north of Wallace, at the community of Gem, I stood on the bottom of the step on the rear of the caboose. The conductor held onto my shirt so I could hold the camera with both hands, focused on the brake hose. I remember him saying, "here he comes!" as I heard lots of dog barking, then this big white dog came into frame, grabbed the hose with his teeth and planted all four paws into the ballast and ties. The train dragged the dog for about 20 feet or so then he let go and ran back home. I got my shots and moved back up to he cupola for the rest of the trip. I also photographed the Hecla Mine complex at Burke from the cupola as the crew set did there set out and pick up. Sadly, years later after the Kellogg Evening News had been sold to the owner of the Spokane Review, the Kellogg office burned to the ground. Many decades of old photos and printing equipment in the basement were lost.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  UP in Kellogg, ID, '68 SP 0-6-0 10-03-2020 - 00:28
  Re: UP in Kellogg, ID, '68 Silver 10-03-2020 - 10:26
  Re: UP in Kellogg, ID, '68 George Andrews 10-04-2020 - 16:56
  Re: UP in Kellogg, ID, '68 BTW 10-05-2020 - 06:58
  Re: UP in Kellogg, ID, '68 George Andrews 10-05-2020 - 18:28
  Re: UP in Kellogg, ID, '68 OPRRMS 10-05-2020 - 18:53
  Re: UP in Kellogg, ID, '68 BTW 10-05-2020 - 19:49
  Re: UP in Kellogg, ID, '68 Jay Burkgart 10-05-2020 - 20:47

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com