1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials
Author: Roosevelt Sims
Date: 12-04-2020 - 03:33

ONE OF THE PERKS OF BEING A PACK RAT

I was cleaing out some storage boxes the other day and ran across this thirty-nine-year-old list officials on the Espee Western Lines. I guess one of the reasons I copied and retained this list was because I sometimes used to eavesdrop on the PBX conversations and I figured this list would help identify who was who. Phone conversations on PBX radio frequencies have pretty much been replaced by cell phones.

Look at the number of positions, particularly at Taylor Yard, that are now history. Also, look at the number of locations that are no longer staffed---places like South Gate, Gemco, Surf.

Some of the names I recognize. I used to hear George DeLellis (SP LA 21) frequently chew peoples asses out on the PBX when things weren't going right. He had a kinder, gentler side to him as he was later instrumental in allowing displaced employees from other regions to live in campers and trailers on Espee property at Taylor Yard.

T.T. Turpin (SP LA 48) went on to become an investigator for the NTSB.

I knew B.I. Selby when he later became a conductor and safety instructor at Metrolink. He's now retired and living in Iowa. He had some interesting stories about making big bucks on work trains as part of the team the rehabilitated the Rock Island portion of the Golden State Route after Espee took it over.

T.E. Williams (SP LA 56) was a victim of workplace violence. A friend told me he read the "board award" of the Adjustment Board when the union of Williams' killer was attempting to get him back to work. The Adjustment Board did not rule in the man's favor. Moral of the story: If you kill a co-worker, don't expect to get your job back.

F.M. Eagle (SP LA 58) later became a yardmaster for Amtrak at 8th St. He would also occasionally don a uniform and work passenger. I worked a trip to Vegas with him on the "Desert Wind" when that train was still running. That was a good job. A round trip to Vegas on Mon-Tue. Another one on Wed-Thu and a round trip to Santa Barbara on the Coast Starlight on Friday, with weekends off.

A lot of changes since this notice was printed. That's for sure. I wonder how many of the people listed are now watching the grass grow away from them instead of toward them.

[i.ibb.co]

[i.ibb.co]

[i.ibb.co]

[i.ibb.co]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials Roosevelt Sims 12-04-2020 - 03:33
  Re: 1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials Mistertower 12-04-2020 - 06:22
  Re: 1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials TrackWorker 12-04-2020 - 07:27
  Re: 1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials ron 12-04-2020 - 09:22
  Re: 1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials-What a long strange trip it's been...... BOB2 12-04-2020 - 11:27
  Re: 1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials WAF 12-04-2020 - 13:56
  Re: 1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials Nudge 12-05-2020 - 18:18
  Re: 1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials GRD 12-04-2020 - 11:14
  Re: 1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials An Observer 12-04-2020 - 15:11
  Re: 1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials Phineas Banning 12-04-2020 - 16:34
  Re: 1981 List of Southern Pacific SoCal Officials OLDMANSTER6y 12-04-2020 - 17:40

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com