Date: 12-20-2020 - 17:22

I found it on the internet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This wreck isn't pretty. BN derailed in the path
> of Amtrak, La Grange, IL, 1977.
>
> I wonder if "Hot Water" was working at EMD at this
> time?

Yes, and the LaGrange Fire Dept. quickly came to our house, and asked for assistance. I quickly put shoes on, got in their vehicle, and they took me to the scene. One of the Fire Officers explained that they were attempting to "Get the last individual out of the cab.", and took me over to the up-side-down SDP40F. Upon calling into the cab window, I saw the Firefighters using the "Jaws of Life" prying into the main electrical cabinet! I asked why they were doing THAT, and explained that ANY person remaining in the cab or toilet compartment, would be be behind them. They did a quick 180, opened the door to the front nose toilet compartment, and found nobody inside, although one guy did comment about the "toilet hanging from the ceiling".

I explained that there was no other occupant spaces in the cab. I then noticed that the interior cab lights were still illuminated, and instructed a Firefighter to open the Battery Switch Inside door, and pull the main battery knife switch. He opened the door, saw the huge knife which and hesitated, assuming it was VERY high voltage. I explained that it was only 64volts DC, and to just pull the thing open, which he did. All the interior lights then went out.

Upon exiting the cab window, I also suggest to one of the nearby officers, that all the diesel fuel was leaking out of the fuel tank, and should it catch fire, they would all be in one hell of a mess! They quickly ran 2 1/2" hoses and began washing down the whole area.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  La Grange derailment '77 I found it on the internet 12-20-2020 - 15:38
  Re: La Grange derailment '77 Hot Water 12-20-2020 - 17:22
  Re: La Grange derailment '77 My thoughts 12-20-2020 - 20:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com