Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times?
Author: SP5103
Date: 04-23-2021 - 19:21

Thete have been UP track personnel moteling it in Baker City lately, but I don't know where/what they're working on. There might be a work window as I am noticing trains in the evening not so much on the day. If it affects the Huntington local, they will often rebulletin it for nights for the duration. A lot of UP floating gangs will work many days in a row and then get enough days off to travel home. Weekends off doesn't necessarily apply.

I've lived in the area 10+ years. The Huntington local used to make at least a couple turns to La Grande eac week overnighting there. They'd haul the westbound cement loads to La Grande as well as switch the resaw mill and a lumber transload in Baker, and propane to Wing (west of Baker). At one time they would have switched the lumber mill at North Powder but it was closed when I moved here (now scrapped out). I heard if there was too much tonnage in La Grande they'd have the Pendleton local come over the Blues to handle it. It's been years since the the Huntington local went past Durkee (cement plant actually has its own station name I can never remember.)

If there's propane for Wing, UP usually has an older unit in La Grande that they'll use with an extra board crew.

Most railroads used to have a series of locals or roadswitchers that covered almost the entire main. They could relayspecial handling cars or MOW as part of their normal run. Now, it seems to be pretty rare.

On a related note - I'm not sure if the Castle local is still running weekday evenings west out of Hinkle or not. They used to switch Boardman and the power plant. This might now be a job out of Hinkle that lays over a couple nights at The Dalles and handles everything in between?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? BN Oly 04-22-2021 - 21:14
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? Lefty Leftist 04-22-2021 - 21:28
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? BN Oly 04-22-2021 - 22:03
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? Lefty Leftist 04-22-2021 - 23:19
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? Bruce Warden 04-22-2021 - 23:34
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? Rasputin 04-22-2021 - 23:45
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? SP5103 04-23-2021 - 19:21
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? BN Oly 04-23-2021 - 23:15
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? Mikado 04-24-2021 - 08:14
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? Just Wondering... 04-24-2021 - 10:22
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? SP5103 04-24-2021 - 20:50
  Re: UP Huntington Local: Lime-Durkee times? Lefty Leftist 04-25-2021 - 00:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com