Re: Shipping containers make an ugly outdoor office?
Author: Nudge
Date: 04-29-2021 - 17:40

Many years ago, I purchased 20 acres in Washington State. I had plans for the future but that never took root.

Well, I had to put in a well and of course all the stuff that goes with it. (regulators, pressure tanks, water & electric meters because it was going to be shared. ) I looked all over for some sort of building, even something I could throw together.

Well, I was shooting the BS with my conductor on the way back to Portland from Eugene one night and he had a great idea. Go talk to the supervisor at the pig ramp and see what idea he may have. There were a bunch of scrap stuff they needed to get rid of.

Cut to the chase, they had an "Old" 40' trailer (curved front) they needed to get rid of. I made a donation to the Little League club in the Portland area, and that trailer showed up 145 miles to the east on a flat bed. The old "Box" had two security doors on the rear and a small man door on the right side. It took about 3 hours to grade a spot, drag it off with a backhoe and put blocks around it. The wood floor was in great shape and the few of the steel angle iron were in the right place to weld brackets.

I was by there some years ago, and it looks just like it did when I put it in over 30 yrs ago. You can even see the the old orange/black paint job through the trees from the logging roads.

If there is a will, there is a way. I miss the old tie days on the Coast. The farmers and property owners got all the old used ties they wanted for free when a gang was working along their property. What we loved was every Friday employees got to pick what they wanted. There are farms & ranches with great looking fences up and down the Coast. (We even got 16 "Bridge Ties" off the bridge at Surf. Oh, and yes you better have a receipt for them. We were stopped by the Santa Maria Police on the way north and had to show them ownership. The CHP and a Special Agent got us again going up Cuesta grade but we knew them.

That was the day the carriers "GAVE" employees stuff, rather than throw it away.

And, the solid Redwood tunnel timbers that sit on a hill side just waiting.......

Nudge

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Question about freight cars used as driveway bridges Otis 04-28-2021 - 13:31
  Re: Question about freight cars used as driveway bridges J Mann 04-28-2021 - 13:53
  Re: Question about freight cars used as driveway bridges BNSF1995 04-28-2021 - 15:03
  Re: Question about freight cars used as driveway bridges Randolph Ruiz 04-28-2021 - 15:49
  Re: Question about freight cars used as driveway bridges New Felton 04-28-2021 - 17:08
  Re: Question about freight cars used as driveway bridges Nudge 04-28-2021 - 17:29
  Re: Question about freight cars used as driveway bridges George Andrews 04-28-2021 - 17:29
  Re: Question about freight cars used as driveway bridges White River Junction 04-28-2021 - 20:06
  Shipping containers make an ugly outdoor office? Port Wino 04-28-2021 - 21:42
  Re: Shipping containers make an ugly outdoor office? Nudge 04-29-2021 - 17:40
  Outdoor Nudge "office" - GREAT READ! THANKS! Randy S. 04-29-2021 - 20:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com