Re: Fillmore & Western To Cease Operations
Author: Nudge
Date: 06-09-2021 - 17:46

Brings back some memories:

Years ago Dave & his brother had an old Santa Fe caboose that they were trying to get to the YW. Well, it was sitting in the Roseville yard.

They couldn't get anybody to do anything so they called me to see if I had any ideas. (I was working the Dunsmuir Engineers extra list at the time.) I called the Roseville YM and asked them if that cab was still sitting in his yard and he said yes. I explained to him the details and that the owners were waiting around for it to be set out at Black Butte. He said no problem and the cab wet out on the next peddler. It made its way to Dunsmuir and was in the setout for the SLE at BB. It was a Friday so we had them set it out on the house track. The next SLE wasn't going to be called until Monday morning. They had the whole weekend to diddle around with their new toy. (We locked them into the house so nobody would try to move them and someone could get hurt)

Well, Monday rolled around and the SLE was called and the crew met the owners at Black Butte. They had 4 motors on the point and 2 helpers behind the rear end. They reached over and switched out the cab and coupled up to the train. After an air test off we went to Montague. I rode the helper and tried out the cab for a bit. We finally stopped to set the cab out at the interchange at the YW.

The SLE helper set the cab out, coupled up to the train and off they went to Ashland/Medford.

Well, YW had a switcher there waiting along with KFC lunch (thanks to Dave and family) and we putted over to Yreka. We all loaded up in Dave's RV and headed back to Black Butte to get my pick-up and other vehicles.

I was glad I could help out.

Nudge

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Fillmore & Western To Cease Operations NWP1922 06-07-2021 - 19:56
  Re: Fillmore & Western To Cease Operations BNSF1995 06-07-2021 - 22:22
  Re: Fillmore & Western To Cease Operations??? Not so fast..... BOB2 06-07-2021 - 23:02
  Re: Fillmore & Western To Cease Operations??? Not so fast..... Door Opens for the Return of Guitar M 06-08-2021 - 01:17
  Re: Fillmore & Western To Cease Operations??? Not so fast..... Brian 06-08-2021 - 07:50
  "lately" , Brian? ??? 06-08-2021 - 11:36
  Fillmore & Western To Cease Operations October 15, 1999 06-08-2021 - 11:45
  Re: Fillmore & Western Montalvo???? LMAO..... BOB2 06-08-2021 - 12:23
  Re: Fillmore & Western Montalvo???? LMAO..... ElGringo 06-08-2021 - 17:28
  Re: Fillmore & Western Montalvo???? LMAO..... paved-over crossings 06-08-2021 - 19:02
  Re: Fillmore & Western Montalvo???? LMAO..... An Observer 06-08-2021 - 19:16
  Re: Fillmore & Western To Cease Operations Nudge 06-09-2021 - 17:46

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com