5 Railroads That Never Saw The Light of Day
Author: WebDigger
Date: 07-03-2021 - 18:08

On the website Forgotten Railways, Roads & Places -- [www.frrandp.com] or [translate.google.com] -- "A blog for remembering abandoned transportation routes, ghost towns, forgotten places, and Earth's interesting creations."

"Today's blog is on railroads which were planned, but ultimately never built. Perhaps unsurprisingly, there existed many more ideas for railroad lines than would be considered practical, and most importantly, profitable. Four of these lines come from North Central Illinois, although that is not to say that unbuilt railroads did not exist everywhere across the country."
-- [www.frrandp.com] or [translate.google.com]

Found via -- [www.atlasobscura.com]
Decatur & State Line Railway Bridge Piers
Kankakee River State Park
Manteno, Illinois
Meant for a railway that was never built because of the Great Chicago Fire, these piers still stand nearly 150 years after they were installed.

https://assets.atlasobscura.com/media/W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzZmZmY3YTJlLThmZDAtNDgyMi1hNWVhLTgzYWRjNGE3YmIzNWYzYzlmYzZmYzI4MTdkOTI1Nl9CVEZLNTAyMi5KUEciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIngzOTA-Il0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDgxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdXQ/BTFK5022.JPG

Why those "or" links to Google Translate?

For reasons I don't know -- partly because I didn't want to put a lot of effort into finding out -- the direct links to frrandp didn't work for me -- all I got was empty pages, even though I tried some combinations of enabling and disabling of Ghostery and NoScript. Then I was somehow inspired to try Google Translate (merci encore, FUD, for the clue that led me to it) and I got to see what I was hoping to see.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  5 Railroads That Never Saw The Light of Day WebDigger 07-03-2021 - 18:08
  Re: 5 Railroads That Never Saw The Light of Day FUD 07-03-2021 - 19:19
  Re: 5 Railroads That Never Saw The Light of Day An Observer 07-04-2021 - 11:22
  Re: 5 Railroads That Never Saw The Light of Day FUD 07-04-2021 - 17:13
  Re: 5 Railroads That Never Saw The Light of Day Ghost of Ebenzer Slocum 07-05-2021 - 08:56

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com