Re: Nebo and Daggett Marine Corps Logistics Bases Question
Author: SP5103
Date: 07-24-2021 - 17:13

I worked as a temp on the railroad at MCLB Yermo circa 2004.

The trains were operated by Public Works (Civil Service). Yermo is primarily warehouses, support and a rebuild center. Civilian crews rebuilt anything from Humvees, howitzers to Abrams tanks for USMC. Nebo had the administration offices, commissary, some housing that seemed to being phased out and some more warehouses.

USMC rarely used the rail, almost all the rail work was for the Army. Typical pattern was one week switching several trains around so they could be unloaded and convoyed or truck to Fort Irwin. After a couple weeks of manuevers (while we did some maintenance), everything came back and had to be loaded before the next rotation arrived. While I was there we got the first Strykers for training.

Not sure if it is still civil service or it's been contracted out. Power was two Army GP9 rebuilds, and a USMC SW8 and GE 45 ton drop cab rebuild. I know the USMC units were surpluses a few years later and are gone. Three GE 80 ton rebuilds came in while I was there but I don't think they were ever used. I heard they tried a Green Goat but it was short lived. We used Nebo rail once but I heard BNSF pulled the switch into it. The interchange for Yermo is at the SW end of the UP Yermo yard which BNSF can access too.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Nebo and Daggett Marine Corps Logistics Bases Question E.H. Scaryman 07-23-2021 - 11:22
  Re: Nebo and Daggett Marine Corps Logistics Bases Question An Observer 07-23-2021 - 11:42
  Re: Nebo and Daggett Marine Corps Logistics Bases Question BOB2 07-23-2021 - 11:55
  Re: Nebo and Daggett Marine Corps Logistics Bases Question An Observer 07-23-2021 - 14:56
  Re: Nebo and Daggett Marine Corps Logistics Bases Question Dmac844 07-24-2021 - 10:24
  Re: Nebo and Daggett Marine Corps Logistics Bases Question BOB2 07-24-2021 - 10:40
  Re: Nebo and Daggett Marine Corps Logistics Bases Question Frank Poi 07-24-2021 - 11:37
  Re: Nebo and Daggett Marine Corps Logistics Bases Question SP5103 07-24-2021 - 17:13
  Re: Nebo and Daggett Marine Corps Logistics Bases Question An Observer 07-24-2021 - 17:36
  Great info, thanks guys! E.H. Scaryman 07-24-2021 - 19:41

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com