Re: Regulation of railroads BAD BOB2 misrepresented what I said.... NOT!...
Author: BOB2
Date: 07-24-2021 - 04:58

I have reposted your timeline, so folks can see I misrepresented nothing you said....

Again, the Stagger's act was passed when? The major RR mega mergers occurred when?

You remind of a Marxist professor who's class I once dropped, who liked to claim that things occured because of later actions and events, just like you.... The fringes do have a lot in common that way.... Both fringes need to create a narrative to feed the ignorant, because they have a hard time when dealing in facts....

posted this comment to the Trains.com news wire today:

We would have a healthier rail industry today if President Eisenhower had the wisdom to de-regulate railroads in 1956 as a concession to passage of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 (which built the interstate highway system).

Imagine:

Deregulation in 1956 would have given marginal carriers like the Rock Island, C&NW, and Milwaukee ample time to cut money losing business and position themselves for the changing playing field of subsidized freeways and airports.

Deregulation in 1956 would also have prevented the railroad bankruptcies of the 1970’s that hurt shippers, cost the government money, and caused sudden unemployment for thousands of railroaders.

[i]Instead, the government did everything wrong.

By the time the government recognized the need to deregulate, the patient was already dead or on life support. (This is called, recognition lag).

By the time the government implemented deregulation, what they deregulated were the surviving monopolies. (This is called, implementation lag).

The outcome is that today we hear calls for re-regulating these monopolies.

Sigh.

It seems that the government can only do harm when it interferes with markets. Government regulation is reactive and not proactive. Because of that, the timing of changing regulations is 100% wrong, and the laws come at precisely the wrong time.
[/i]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Regulation of railroads - historical perspective Basic econ 07-23-2021 - 13:09
  Basic Public Relations E.H. Scaryman 07-23-2021 - 14:19
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective-except for the facts and the timeline.... BOB2 07-23-2021 - 16:48
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective-except for the facts and the timeline.... Basic econ 07-23-2021 - 21:28
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective-except for the facts and the timeline.... Craig Tambo 07-23-2021 - 22:30
  Re: Regulation of railroads BAD BOB2 misrepresented what I said.... NOT!... BOB2 07-24-2021 - 04:58
  Re: Regulation of railroads BAD BOB2 misrepresented what I said.... NOT!... Basic econ 07-24-2021 - 12:17
  Re: Regulation of railroads BAD BOB2 didn't actually call you a "nut job libertarian..." BOB2 07-24-2021 - 17:54
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective Hey! 07-24-2021 - 05:40
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective Guest 07-24-2021 - 06:47
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective Ghost of Ebenezer Slocum 07-25-2021 - 19:33

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com