Re: Regulation of railroads BAD BOB2 didn't actually call you a "nut job libertarian..."
Author: BOB2
Date: 07-24-2021 - 17:54

"Nut job libertarian"??? I didn't call you that... I just noted how consistent your incomplete timeline and narrative was with the Ayn Rand "bad gubmint" party line....

Should have been done earlier....? Let's play the woulda, shoulda, coulda, game, right?

Well heck yeah, it would have been nice to have had perfect hindsight and done rate deregulaton a lot earlier... What Staggers did was listen, and do something about rate deregulation, and got the Staggers act passed and signed by President Carter.

But, don't you worry.... When Doc gets done fixing the Delorean, I plan to go back and fix the pricing regulation problem in 1958... And then, everything will be perfect.... We'll have the New York Central and Pennsy back... Hell, maybe me and Doc can get there in time to even save the New York Ontario and Western, too....?

And, for a while RR's were in the early years of pricing deregulation it was more of a "win-win" game, being able to recover cost, while maintaining competitive rail service markets. The Santa Fe BN merger allowed for the other 3 mega mergers (as the SP-SF merger would have also done), this has lead to much more limited rail competition. And weak enforcement of common carrier requirements, and cracking down on discrimatory pricing schemes, by a gutless STB has only made the situation worse.....

These are not a new merger problems. Access and service issues started almost right away in some CA markets, almost immediately after one of the big mega mergers in 1996. Which is why I was involved in at least one look by a local transportation agency with a port, who watched access and service issues tank carloading at that port, at potentially going to the STB for remedies for those access and service issues. They did nothing fearing the liklihood that the gutless STB would do nothing, and that they could even generate "retalitation" by that carrier. Which could create bigger problems for that agencies regional and intercity passenger operators and planned passenger improvements.

Re: Regulation of railroads BAD BOB2 misrepresented what I said.... NOT!...
Author: Basic econ
Date: 07-24-2021 - 12:17

Point was, the Rock island, CGW, and Milwaukee were already dead and BN already had a monopoly on the northern tier by the time President Carter’s group passed Staggers in 1980. Didn’t matter that BN became BNSF later. Dereg came too late. I bet all the RR execs of the 60’s would agree with that thesis. If you think that makes me a nut job Libertarian please elaborate.

(Deleted course languag

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Regulation of railroads - historical perspective Basic econ 07-23-2021 - 13:09
  Basic Public Relations E.H. Scaryman 07-23-2021 - 14:19
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective-except for the facts and the timeline.... BOB2 07-23-2021 - 16:48
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective-except for the facts and the timeline.... Basic econ 07-23-2021 - 21:28
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective-except for the facts and the timeline.... Craig Tambo 07-23-2021 - 22:30
  Re: Regulation of railroads BAD BOB2 misrepresented what I said.... NOT!... BOB2 07-24-2021 - 04:58
  Re: Regulation of railroads BAD BOB2 misrepresented what I said.... NOT!... Basic econ 07-24-2021 - 12:17
  Re: Regulation of railroads BAD BOB2 didn't actually call you a "nut job libertarian..." BOB2 07-24-2021 - 17:54
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective Hey! 07-24-2021 - 05:40
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective Guest 07-24-2021 - 06:47
  Re: Regulation of railroads - historical perspective Ghost of Ebenezer Slocum 07-25-2021 - 19:33

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com