Re: Disposition of the GE 50 ton SP 1.
Author: SP5103
Date: 07-25-2021 - 09:50

Unfortunately Cananea, Mexico has a century old history of labor strife connected to the copper mine and smelter there.

I was there about 35 years ago and gained legal access. There were two 2-6-2 tank engines (one ng and one sg as I recall) sitting up behind the smelter. In front of the smelter was a spur with xSP 1, a GE 80 ton center cab and a xSP Alco S6 which all appeared long out of service. The last in person report was that everything was still the same as of about 12 years ago, but there was a nasty strike going on.

In the last few years, it appears that copper mining has switched to a leaching or precipitate method. The smelter seems to have been largely salvaged and the three coupled diesels are no longer visible.

In all probability, the SP 1 was scrapped as part of the smelter cleanup. At least one of the steam locos is apparently now on display.

Per GE records, 27 of this model were built. I know of two in existence and maybe two more. Sumpter Valley RR runs their former United Fruit/Chiriqui Land/Chiquita from Panama on occasion. Of the similar 32 52 ton model built, Incofer of Costa Rica has maybe three in operation.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Disposition of the Plaster City GE end cab units AZebra 07-23-2021 - 22:33
  Re: Disposition of the Plaster City GE end cab units Korn 07-24-2021 - 06:02
  Disposition of the Plaster City GE end cab units Deslab 07-24-2021 - 12:19
  Re: Disposition of the Plaster City GE end cab units AZebra 07-24-2021 - 13:31
  Re: Disposition of the Plaster City GE end cab units Chris Walker 07-24-2021 - 14:17
  Re: Disposition of the Plaster City GE end cab units SP5103 07-24-2021 - 16:56
  Re: Disposition of the Plaster City GE end cab units GRD 07-24-2021 - 22:41
  Re: Disposition of the GE 50 ton SP 1. SP5103 07-25-2021 - 09:50

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com