Re: Obviously lost an engine and stalled... Yep, I knew that about the stacks, which is why it sounded weird. But, there are some other questions that aren't answered
Author: BOB2
Date: 07-31-2021 - 15:32

My friend Mr Google Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UP has been running full height doublestacks daily
> through the tunnel for decades.
>
> [ktla.com]
> ck-in-newhall-tunnel-passenger-trains-blocked/
>
> The train originally started experiencing trouble
> at about 2:40 p.m., Metrolink spokesman Paul
> Gonzales told KTLA. He said when the train entered
> the tunnel, the engine died and exhaust began
> filling the tunnel.

Yeah, I knew that, they'd done work to raise clearnaces years and years ago, although still "close", so these reports mystified me.... So, it would only be some excess clearance high wide, or something derailing inside the tunnel (it's happened with the draingage issues with the oily water seepage, which have been controlled, and which should not be a problem this summer with the drought) which I was wondering about.

So this "stuck in tunnel" was inadequate power, or power that crapped out? If it crapped out, why did it crap out? Engines emit a lot of CO and CO2, and engines need air, so they all can potentially lose power and/or shut down eventually if stuck long enough... But actually, "nothing" was "stuck" as a result being in a tunnel, other than that poor crew sucking fumes? Of course, a consist can suck a lot of air and needs a lot of cooling air (tunnel motors) pulling a heavy train in run eight, in a tunnel. Did that have anything to to do with the shutdown, or was it mechanical, or cooling related?

What was the length and tonnage, how many units and HPT? PSR supersized? Losing one engine with adequate HPT for the grades on that line (or was it more than one?) and you crap out on those grades is odd? Did the train stall because of the power, or was it something else, like air problems, some combination of factors? Was it PSR "super size" related?

I come from the if it can all possibly go wrong at the same time, it probably eventually will era of "lesson learned" railroading... When you "tied up" the "whole effing railroad" like that, George Delellis wanted to know "why"... Some folks on AP are just "old school" that way....

I still want to know what the hell the routing for this was, and what the gameplan was for getting the train around these fire cloaures? This random "result" of that, needs more of an explanation...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  KTLA 5 just showed the "stuck" train in "tunnel 23" LIVE ON 5 07-30-2021 - 18:42
  "tunnel 23" -Between Newhall & Sylmar/San Fernando Alert desk 07-30-2021 - 19:13
  Re: "tunnel 23" -Between Newhall & Sylmar/San Fernando Mo 07-30-2021 - 19:16
  Re: Tunnel 25 - Between Newhall & Sylmar/San Fernando Bruce Kelly 07-30-2021 - 19:25
  Gsearch [metrolink stuck in tunnel] WebDigger 07-30-2021 - 19:27
  Re: Gsearch [metrolink stuck in tunnel] FUD 07-30-2021 - 20:50
  "Infrastructure Week!" WebDigger 07-30-2021 - 21:36
  Re: KTLA 5 just showed the "stuck" train in "tunnel 23" Steve 07-30-2021 - 19:31
  Re: KTLA 5 just showed the "stuck" train in "tunnel 23" NoseDigger 07-30-2021 - 20:07
  Re: KTLA 5 just showed the "stuck" train in "tunnel 23" John 07-31-2021 - 10:33
  Re: KTLA 5 just showed the "stuck" train in "tunnel 23" Router 07-31-2021 - 10:37
  Re: KTLA 5 just showed the "stuck" train in "tunnel 23" John 07-31-2021 - 11:15
  Re: So, after all of this hoopla and questions, does anyone have a real report on what actually happened? BOB2 07-31-2021 - 11:24
  Re: So, after all of this hoopla and questions, does anyone have a real report on what actually happened? Rudi Toot Toot 07-31-2021 - 12:10
  Obviously lost an engine and stalled My friend Mr Google 07-31-2021 - 12:56
  Re: Obviously lost an engine and stalled... Yep, I knew that about the stacks, which is why it sounded weird. But, there are some other questions that aren't answered BOB2 07-31-2021 - 15:32
  Re: Obviously lost an engine and stalled... Yep, I knew that about the stacks, which is why it sounded weird. But, there are some other questions that aren't answered Usmc1401 07-31-2021 - 20:06
  Re: LMAO... Container ship from Oakland to Tacoma.... Fire damage to BNSF...? BOB2 07-31-2021 - 21:10
  Re: LMAO... Container ship from Oakland to Tacoma.... Fire damage to BNSF...? RS32 07-31-2021 - 23:53
  Re: LMAO... Container ship from Oakland to Tacoma.... Fire damage to BNSF...? measure once cut twice 07-31-2021 - 23:58
  Re: LMAO... Container ship from Oakland to Tacoma.... Fire damage to BNSF...? RS32 08-01-2021 - 01:17
  ... Fire damage to BNSF...? John 08-01-2021 - 08:53
  Yep, I knew that about the stacks, which is why it sounded weird. But, there are some other questions that aren't answered. Like how long can a title be. Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived i Mr. Brevity 08-01-2021 - 14:34
  Re: Yep, I knew that about the stacks, which is why it sounded weird. But, there are some other questions that aren't answered. Like how long can a title be. Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceiv Commenter 08-01-2021 - 21:03
  Re: Yep, I knew that about the stacks, which is why it sounded weird. But, there are some other questions that aren't answered. Like how long can a title be. Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceiv Dr Zarkoff 08-01-2021 - 21:32
  Re: Yep, I knew that about the stacks, which is why it sounded weird. But, there are some other questions that aren't answered. Like how long can a title be. Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceiv FUD 08-02-2021 - 08:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com