Re: Pueblo Test Track
Author: Ernest H. Robl
Date: 03-02-2007 - 08:09

No, it is not open to the public. Not only are there the usual concerns about safety around railroads -- multiplied by the fact that equipment is often subjected to unusual stresses which could result in catastrophic failures -- but the test center also does work for specific rolling stock manufacturers. The equipment sent there for testing is often pre-production and has not even been announced yet. So, there's a fair amount of concern about people seeing proprietary designs before they become available -- or of people seeing flaws in pre-production equipment, which would be fixed by the time the equipment goes into normal production.

(I corresponded with an official of of the test center a number of years ago about the possibility of doing photography there or doing a feature about the center -- and was given the above-cited reasons for being turned down.)

Yes, members of the press are sometimes invited to the site for specific events -- but are only given access to parts of the site.

I also got the impression that it might have been possible to arrange a visit (as a journalist) if I was open to a wide range of dates and the visit could be scheduled at their convenience at a time when no proprietary equipment was there. However, I had asked about possibly visiting the site during a specific time when I was already going to be in Colorado for other purposes. And, making a trip to Colorado from the East Coast just for that purpose would have been too expensive for the anticipated return from that visit.

-- Ernest

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Pueblo Test Track almo 02-28-2007 - 22:51
  Re: Pueblo Test Track Marty Bernard 03-01-2007 - 05:52
  Re: Pueblo Test Track Richard Elgenson 03-01-2007 - 08:37
  Re: Pueblo Test Track Tony Burzio 03-01-2007 - 09:45
  Re: Pueblo Test Track - Link Bill Calmes 03-01-2007 - 14:59
  Re: Pueblo Test Track - Link almo 03-01-2007 - 22:54
  Re: Pueblo Test Track Robert 03-02-2007 - 07:07
  Re: Pueblo Test Track Ernest H. Robl 03-02-2007 - 08:09
  Re: Pueblo Test Track Mike Swanson 03-02-2007 - 08:36
  Re: Pueblo Test Track Mike Swanson 03-02-2007 - 08:43
  Re: Pueblo Test Track Gary 03-02-2007 - 11:20
  Re: Pueblo Test Track Robert 03-02-2007 - 14:11

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com