Re: Ride a modern European interurban
Author: Fiddler
Date: 12-25-2021 - 18:39

I suspect the primary reason for the movable frogs is that the back-to-back spacing of the streetcar wheels is wider than the mainline wheels. Thus standard switch frog and check rail dimensions for the mainline track would not provide the streetcars with adequate protection from picking frog points. Side benefit is no gaps which allows for smoother (and likely faster) running. Really a solid way to get around the problem, and presumably worth the added complexity. I wonder what interlock mechanisms exist to assure points and frogs are aligned; must be exceptionally reliable.

American interurban systems I believe solved this problem by making the streetcars comply with the regular freight wheel dimension standards.

What I have always been curious of is how places like San Fran worked back in the days of lots of streetcars with trolley profile wheels and street freight railways. There had to be times they were sharing switch-work. For a trackwork nerd walking around those streets would have been hours of fun study in track design.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Ride a modern European interurban Ernest H. Robl 12-24-2021 - 14:17
  Re: Ride a modern European interurban J M STARR 12-24-2021 - 14:48
  The beginning looks like a scene from a Hitchcock movie E. Bert 12-25-2021 - 18:32
  "Driver's cab ride with the Badner Bahn from Vienna to Baden" via G-translate Actual Title posted 1 year ago 12-26-2021 - 09:16
  These fahrt videos are great, keep posting them Dieter 12-26-2021 - 10:27
  Re: Ride a modern European interurban Fiddler 12-25-2021 - 18:39
  Re: Ride a modern European interurban Joe Magruder 12-25-2021 - 21:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com