Submitted For Your Approval - Seventieth Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 06-07-2022 - 15:54

As a continuation of the post I made yesterday, here's another photo taken FORTY-SIX YEARS AGO, on September 24, 1976, of that UP Junior Old Timer's Special on the return leg of an event where the train was spotted near the Queen Mary in Long Beach. Here the train is shown leaving San Bernardino and getting ready to cross underneath Fifth Street. I was standing on the Fifth Street bridge to take the photo. A lot of changes. There was no intermodal facility then and you can see box cars on the right, back in the old days when railroads promoted boxcars. Note that there are only three southbound lanes on Interstate 215 on the left. There are five lanes there now. All of that green freeway landscaping is now gone, a contribution to global warming.

The weather was lousy as we followed the train from Long Beach to Cajon. Everything from light to heavy rain. As you'll see tomorrow, there was a downpour at Devore and I stood on the back platform of the caboose of a stopped freight to get out of the rain. You can't stand on back platforms of cabooses anymore.

[goo.gl]

https://i.ibb.co/bXrWJj4/19760924-010.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval - Seventieth Installment D. B. Arthur 06-07-2022 - 15:54
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Seventieth Installment Ross Hall 06-07-2022 - 16:42
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Seventieth Installment GRD 06-07-2022 - 21:49
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Seventieth Installment trackwalker 06-08-2022 - 07:40
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Seventieth Installment Chris Walker 06-09-2022 - 03:14

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com