Ukraine Grain By Standard Gauge Rail?
Author: John Bruce
Date: 06-17-2022 - 07:12

There ssems to be agreement that the best way to break the Russian blockade of Ukrainian ports for grain export is send it by rail to Polish and Romanian ports, except the break of gauge at the border is a problem. Joe B says they'll build silos or something, but Poland isn't 100% on board. What is the obstacle to building standard gauge lines into Ukraine that parallel the broad gauge a la Australia, at least as far as transload points in the grain growing areas? I assume these would have to be electrified, but the actual infrasctructure for unit grain trains would otherwise be pretty minimal, and let's face it, if the West rebuilds Ukraine after the war, an overall regauging of the old Russian network there would be a no-brainer. But how long would it take to build 1-200 miles of standard gauge track to handle just unit grain trains, and how practical would it be?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Ukraine Grain By Standard Gauge Rail? John Bruce 06-17-2022 - 07:12
  Re: Ukraine Grain By Standard Gauge Rail?- I suspect that availability of cars and locos would be a bigger problem. BOB2 06-17-2022 - 09:12
  Re: Ukraine Grain By Standard Gauge Rail?- I suspect that availability of cars and locos would be a bigger problem. Ernest H. Robl 06-17-2022 - 09:58
  Re: Ukraine Grain By Standard Gauge Rail?- I suspect that availability of cars and locos would be a bigger problem. A.T. Mahan 06-17-2022 - 11:10
  Re: Ukraine Grain By Standard Gauge Rail?- One if by land, two if by sea...... BOB2 06-17-2022 - 11:47
  Re: Ukraine Grain By Standard Gauge Rail?- One if by land, two if by sea...... FUD 06-17-2022 - 13:31
  Re: Ukraine Grain By Standard Gauge Rail?- One if by land, two if by sea...... John Bruce 06-18-2022 - 08:45
  Re: Ukraine Grain By Standard Gauge Rail?- One if by land, two if by sea...... A.T. Mahan 06-19-2022 - 08:11
  Re: Ukraine Grain By Standard Gauge Rail?- One if by land, two if by sea...... Dr Zarkoff 06-19-2022 - 12:23
  Re: One if by land, two if by sea...... Wake Island... LMAO Doctor.... Does Nancy know where that is? BOB2 06-19-2022 - 20:31
  Broad gauge already reaches into neighbor countries, how about building unit train unloading loops? Captain Shuttle 06-17-2022 - 16:01

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com