Submitted For Your Approval - Eightieth Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 06-24-2022 - 14:08

Here's a photo taken on September 23, 1978, FORTY-FOUR YEARS AGO. I was riding an excursion over the full length of the Clinchfield Railroad and I believe this is at Poplar, NC as the train was exiting the very rugged and isolated Nolichucky Gorge along the river of the same name. We had Clinchfield # 1, a cute, coal-burning 4-6-0 steam locomotive, added to the front of the train at Erwin, TN to complement the F-units pulling our train.

In the years since this photo was taken, CSX has downgraded the strategic importance of the Clinchfield by shifting traffic patterns. Whereas in 1978 Poplar siding was used to make a run-around meet with this general-merchandise freight train, some recent exploring thanks to GOOGLE Streetview images make it appear the siding is currently being used to store surplus coal hoppers.

Sadly, I think the days of Class One railroads operating steam excursions where the public can ride are pretty much over. In 1978, in the region of the country where I was living, SOU, N&W, Chessie System (C&O-B&O-WM) and The Family Lines (SCL-L&N-GA-CC&O-A&WP) either had steam programs or were cooperative with running steam excursions.

E.T.T.S. Everything Turns To Caa Caa

https://i.ibb.co/FK6vvZn/19780923-006.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval - Eightieth Installment D. B. Arthur 06-24-2022 - 14:08
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Eightieth Installment Peter D. 06-25-2022 - 23:14

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com