Re: Trains Magazine News - Georgia town seeks funding for rail park to attack tourists
Author: ShortlinesUSA
Date: 06-29-2022 - 09:29

Sorry, but Dalton, GA not far to the south is the better option, and as such, already has a platform. Dalton gets every train that goes through Cohutta (NS only) plus everything CSX runs (8-12 per 24 hours), as the two railroads cross right in front of the Dalton viewing platform at the old depot which is now a visitors center.

Dalton has a multitude of restaurants within walking distance of the viewing platform (which, I should add has a scanner feed and ATCS monitor), plenty of lodging, and easy access from I-75. To get to Cohutta? Well, you have to want to get there. It's a small community away from the major highways with pretty much nothing in town.

If this funding is passed because the folks holding the purse strings are wowed by anyone in a suit with a PowerPoint presentation, this platform will just be a sitting place occasionally used by some of the 756 residents and an occasional fan. Definitely not the "Field of Dreams."

I'm of the opinion Dalton is highly underrated with railfans as a destination, overshadowed by the lore of Folkston, GA and other cities. I will add the recently opened platform in Cordele, GA (about 4 hours south of Dalton) is very well done, and has everything going for it that Dalton does. Those would be my two recommendations in the state for visitors-- Dalton if you're up north, Cordele to the south. Both locations have two Class 1s and also a shortline in Cordele (Heart of Georgia RR) that runs passenger excursions.

Here's a shot I took at the Dalton platform a few years ago--

[www.railpictures.net]

Mike Derrick

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Trains Magazine News - Georgia town seeks funding for rail park to attack tourists Just the Messenger 06-29-2022 - 00:29
  Re: Trains Magazine News - Georgia town seeks funding for rail park to attack tourists Yocal 06-29-2022 - 05:14
  Re: Trains Magazine News - Georgia town seeks funding for rail park to attack tourists ShortlinesUSA 06-29-2022 - 09:29
  But Cohutta is better than Dalton for attacking tourists Oh! Cohutta! 06-29-2022 - 11:47
  Re: Trains Magazine News - Georgia town seeks funding for rail park to attack tourists George Andrews 06-29-2022 - 17:13
  Re: Trains Magazine News - Georgia town seeks funding for rail park to attack tourists 06-29-2022 - 16:51
  Re: Trains Magazine News - Georgia town seeks funding for rail park to attack tourists A message for the nameless troll 06-29-2022 - 17:03
  Re: Trains Magazine News - Georgia town seeks funding for rail park to attack tourists Guadalupe Jose 06-29-2022 - 17:37
  Re: Trains Magazine News - Georgia town seeks funding for rail park to attack tourists Dept. of Corrections 06-29-2022 - 17:11
  Re: Trains Magazine News - Georgia town seeks funding for rail park to attack tourists WAF 06-30-2022 - 15:54

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com