Re: Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred Nineteenth Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 08-14-2022 - 23:43

Tom H Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gee, DB that sure is a slow train. How many days did it take to get to Kansas City?

Three calendar days from the time I left Pueblo to when I arrived just short of West Yard in Kansas City, KS. I had a layover in Horace of about twelve hours or so and another layover in Herington of about four or five hours, so those two factors lengthened the trip quite a bit. Top speed on the line was 60 MPH, less than the ATSF line across Kansas used by the Southwest Chief.

Uncle Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In your 117th installment, you mentioned changing crews in Herington, KS. Did you note if the crews betweeen Pueblo and Herington were all former MOP crews and then Herington to KC was Cotton Belt, maybe ex-RI people?

I didn't make a note of it, but I imagine you are correct that the two seniority groups of people were divided up like that. By 1996 they may have blended the two groups together and cross-qualified everyone on each other's territories.

> The next traditional crew change on the MOP east of Hoisington was Council Grove, KS. But I think by 1996 the UP had already removed that trackage east of Herington.

Yes, it was in the works. They may not have had all the track pulled up by that date, but they were channeling trains off the MoPac line onto the CRIP line via North Topeka when I paid my visit.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred Nineteenth Installment D. B. Arthur 08-13-2022 - 20:59
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred Nineteenth Installment Tom H 08-14-2022 - 06:07
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred Nineteenth Installment Uncle Dave 08-14-2022 - 07:03
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred Nineteenth Installment D. B. Arthur 08-14-2022 - 23:43

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com