Signal clarifications
Author: Ernest H. Robl
Date: 10-24-2022 - 04:31

While in the U.S., grade crossing protection and railroad signal systems are basically separate, though both usually use track circuits, it is possible for the two to completely integrated with each other -- and with the road traffic signal system. Probably no country has done this better -- that I am aware of -- than the Netherlands.

You can see this if you watch cab view videos or railcams from the Netherlands.

It is also manifested by the large number of electrical control cabinets at most railroad crossings in the Netherlands.

Here's one example of how this system works: In many smaller stations, there is a grade crossing a short distance past the station. There is also always a a departure signal on the railroad between the end of the platform and the grade crossing. This signal is normally red for stop.

If a train arrives in the stations with the signal red, nothing happens at the grade crossing. It remains open. However, once the signal system gives the train clearance to depart, the signal does not immediately go to green. Instead, the grade crossing gates activate and close; and, only after the gates are closed does the railroad signal go green.

Also, if there are road traffic signals in the area around a grade crossing, if a train is detected approaching. five seconds before the grade crossing itself activates, all road routes that go to the grade crossing will go to red. Other vehicle and pedestrian paths that do not involve going over grade crossing will cycle normally. (The Netherlands has very good detection systems at most road intersections, involving multiple detection loops, so that signals for turn lanes go back top red as soon as the last vehicle has passed. These detection systems even detect approaching bicycles on the bike paths that parallel most roads.)

I've seen a number of situations in the U.S. where such integration would have been useful. A train pulls into a station and the nearby grade crossing activates and closes. The train sits in the station for ten minutes and the grade crossing is closed for ten minutes. Yes, some of these locations have a manual override, but it is seldom used.

Now about ETMRS. the European Rail Traffic Management System. ETRMS is an umbrella standard for the interoperability of European railroads. It has a number of subcategories, that include:
-- GSM-R, the communications component. (This includes both voice communication and data sent to the flat screen displays on locomotives.)
-- ETCS (European Train Control System), the signal component.

ETCS has multiple levels, which in turn have subsidiary attributes. From level 2 upwards, you can operate with cab signals only, with no lineside signals. This is used on high-speed lines. (There are, however, some lines where legacy signals have been maintained, even though ETCS level 2 traffic management is in effect.)

Basically any new or substantially upgraded European rail lines will use ETCS, while legacy systems remain in effect on other lines. Almost all new European locomotives come equipped with ETCS onboard equipment, as well equipment for train influence by older (ATS) legacy systems for specific countries.

For what it's worth: Many years ago, I did some contract technical writing projects for the European railroad supplier Alstom. Several of these projects focused on European signal technology that Alstom was trying to sell to the U.S. (While in the U.S., Alstom is primarily known as a supplier of rolling stock, in Europe it had a much wider range of products, including signal equipment, switch motors, etc.)

This was around the time that the U.S. was still trying to figure out what it wanted to do with PTC, while the Europeans had already figured out the ETCS standards -- and started initial implementations. Yes, the U.S. could simply have adopted the ETCS standards (level 2 and above), but that would have been too simple and violated the "not invented here" approach.

For example, ETCS level 2 works fine in long deep tunnels; GPS-based PTC has problems in such situations.

For these projects, I was provided a range of source documentation, some in English, much in German, and even a little in French. I also spoke by telephone with a number of Alstom technical experts to clarify some points.

-- Ernest

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Trainnews - volume 15 - issue 043 Espee99 10-22-2022 - 09:31
  Re: Trainnews - volume 15 - issue 043 FUD 10-22-2022 - 12:15
  Re: Trainnews - volume 15 - issue 043 Well, Brightline is doing what I'd tell them to do.... It should be done a lot more, nowadays... BOB2 10-22-2022 - 15:39
  Re: Trainnews - volume 15 - issue 043 Well, Brightline is doing what I'd tell them to do.... It should be done a lot more, nowadays... Ernest H. Robl 10-22-2022 - 16:29
  Well, Brightline is doing what I'd tell them to do.... It should be done a lot more, nowadays... Clem 10-22-2022 - 20:47
  Re: Well, Brightline is doing what I'd tell them to do.... It should be done a lot more, nowadays... Dr Zarkoff 10-22-2022 - 23:34
  Re: I think that Clem is talking about traffic signal timing integration, not the rail signals... BOB2 10-23-2022 - 05:26
  Re: I think that Clem is talking about traffic signal timing integration, not the rail signals... FUD 10-23-2022 - 09:11
  Re: And, now some Local News choo-choo video and public reactin on Brightline choo-choo at 110.... BOB2 10-23-2022 - 09:22
  Re: I think that Clem is talking about traffic signal timing integration, not the rail signals... Dr Zarkoff 10-23-2022 - 12:57
  Re: I think that Clem is talking about traffic signal timing integration, not the rail signals... Dr Zarkoff 10-23-2022 - 14:38
  Re: Zark, you're the man, dude.... Great explanations and input, I always learn something new from you BOB2 10-23-2022 - 15:58
  Signal clarifications Ernest H. Robl 10-24-2022 - 04:31
  Re: Signal clarifications FUD 10-24-2022 - 08:56
  Re: Signal clarifications Ernest H. Robl 10-24-2022 - 09:41
  I've noticed long gate down times for outbound station trains on the Mierlo-Hout Netherlands webcam Herbert 10-25-2022 - 17:01
  Re: I've noticed long gate down times for outbound station trains on the Mierlo-Hout Netherlands webcam Ernest H. Robl 10-25-2022 - 21:45
  Re: I've noticed long gate down times for outbound station trains on the Mierlo-Hout Netherlands webcam FUD 10-26-2022 - 06:01
  I appreciate the explanation Mr. Robl Herbert 10-26-2022 - 20:04

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com