Re: Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles east of the derailment
Author: BOB2
Date: 02-17-2023 - 09:22

ron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok Sherlock. Was it the " B " end of the car on
> fire? Maybe Bob 2's theory is right. A fully
> applied handbrake..

Ron, that video is interesting, as you've observed, but I don't want to get out "over my skis" too far either, yet.

The media is focused on "hot box" (bearing), or "axle"... It is difficult to determine from this kind of poor reporting, as yet. But wheel failures (the video wil be important) and/or handbrake will all be examined thoroughly by the NTSB. So, I don't have any theory, as yet. But it sure looked a lot more like the whole wheel was hot from the one video but turning???. If the bearing or axle was "locked" and not rolling long enough that wheel would get real hot, real fast, too.

This will come out in time. I suspect with the pressure on this one, sooner, rather than later. But only after NTSB is sure of the facts they've uncovered.

My point was more about the lack of "eyes" on the "look out" for these sort of things, to prevent and/or detect them. And relying almost totally on what appears to be automated detection. And, that based on the location of detectors and of camera views of the overheated truck/wheel/axle/bearing, may have failed to "detect" or "prevent" this accident.

The tank cars failing to properly vent is another thing they will be looking at.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles east of the derailment Sherlock 02-16-2023 - 18:39
  Re: Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles WEST of the derailment The other east 02-16-2023 - 18:40
  Re: Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles east of the derailment CTOMN 02-16-2023 - 22:58
  Re: Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles east of the derailment ron 02-17-2023 - 08:39
  Re: Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles east of the derailment Conspiracy Theorist 02-17-2023 - 09:13
  Re: Don't publish "how to" manuals on-line.... BOB2 02-17-2023 - 09:42
  Re: Don't publish "how to" manuals on-line....(But TO demands right to post military movements) Gentle reader 02-17-2023 - 18:11
  Re: Don't publish "how to" manuals on-line....(But TO demands right to post military movements) Josef Stalin 02-17-2023 - 19:42
  Re: Why am I not surprised Nancy? BOB2 02-18-2023 - 08:08
  Re: Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles east of the derailment Richard 02-18-2023 - 15:27
  Re: Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles east of the derailment BOB2 02-17-2023 - 09:22
  Re: Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles east of the derailment ron 02-17-2023 - 09:55
  Re: Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles east of the derailment Steamfan 02-17-2023 - 11:04
  Hunter Harrison brought back the inbound crew inspecting the departing train after swapping FWIW 02-17-2023 - 18:04
  Re: Prior detector failure? Video shows car sparking & flaming before it passed the Salem detector 20 miles east of the derailment Axle count 02-17-2023 - 20:02

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com