Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-sixteenth Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 05-24-2023 - 22:54

Here's a photo I took on July 12, 1982, FORTY-ONE YEARS AGO, of a San Diego-bound Ringling Bros-Barnum & Bailey circus train making its way across the Santa Ana River on the ATSF Olive Subdivision between Atwood and Olive. The sun was very low in the sky, so the lighting conditions were not the best.

Note the white classification lights on the lead unit, indicating that the train is an extra. This system is no longer used and almost all locomotives no longer have class lights.

Santa Fe and the RBB&B circus no longer exist, and the Olive Sub is now owned and operated by Metrolink, used by their Inland Empire-Orange County trains. BNSF trains also use the line.

Twenty-four days after I took this photo, I photographed the circus train again on August 05 in Santa Ana when it was being handled by Southern Pacific. See:

[www.altamontpress.com]

Here's an interesting story related to the circus train that I posted on Trainorders a few years ago. I just saw Buck Cleveland, the conductor involved, at a gathering of retirees a few weeks ago.

[www.trainorders.com]

https://i.ibb.co/ZTQfq7f/19820712-030.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-sixteenth Installment D. B. Arthur 05-24-2023 - 22:54
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-sixteenth Installment BOB2 05-25-2023 - 08:56
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-sixteenth Installment Circus circus 05-25-2023 - 09:21
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-sixteenth Installment Chris Walker 05-25-2023 - 14:32
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-sixteenth Installment D. B. Arthur 05-25-2023 - 18:19
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-sixteenth Installment George Andrews 05-25-2023 - 20:29
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-sixteenth Installment Chris Walker 05-26-2023 - 01:48
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-sixteenth Installment Peter D. 05-26-2023 - 10:13

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com