"Maintenance-of-Way" chores at Palmdale, CA...
Author: Ken Shattock (aka 'KRK')
Date: 11-04-2009 - 14:26

http://trainnews.webhop.org/Trainnews/keyrouteken/Outfit465.jpg

Here is a photo I have run on other sites in the past. It has "special meaning" to me this time.
In the early to mid-1930's, there was a young man who was newly married and who had been appointed "Foreman" of a "welding gang" on the SP. SP Welding Gang# 23 (System)..
He traveled around on SP rails in five Western states with his fellow workers on the "Outfit"
as they were called. Their basic job responsibilities were the welding of Track, Bridges and Signal Masts. Also using their cutting torches to break apart train derailments.
In this case, the wreck of the "OWL" in Feb-1937 at Selma, CA and the wreck of the "City of San Francisco" at Harney, NV in 1939.
These workers were like "gypsies" or bedouins (Arabia), living out in the middle of the boondocks, away from any civilizations, doing "their thing" for 'Uncle SP'..
An "Outfit" usually consisted of a handful of Outfit Cars, one or two box cars for parts and supplies and a tank car for water...
Because this young railroader was a "Foreman"-- he was allowed to bring along his wife and family and live in a better quality car.

The young couple in question was assigned to Outfit Car (MW 465).. Here is some history on this very car (courtesy of Ken Harrison, Past President, SPH&TS):
"SPMW 465 (3rd) was built by CP 6/14/1887 as Baggage-Mail CP 5069. It
was converted to SPMW 465 at Sacramento 2/15/1929 and was Worn Out
1/31/1955, being scrapped at Los Angeles 3/3/1955."

The young wife pictured in the photo spruced up the car with "curtains" similar to the late
"Kay Fisher", who lived with her husband Bill at Emigrant Gap, CA. In later years,
this young wife (her name was Muriel) corresponded with 'Kay Fisher' .. They
compared notes on their early lives, living in what was referred to as "their first Mobile home" ...
This photo depicts "Muriel" and her three-year old daughter "Patty" at Palmdale,
CA in 1937. Muriel's husband (the Foreman) was 'Jim Shattock'... Yes, the name was the
same as mine. They were KRK's parents. The little girl (Patty) was my only sister.
She died near Orlando, FL on October 8th of a massive heart attack at the age of 74.
Some of you may have known this from my T.O. posting.
I never had the "Outfit" experience as Patty and our brother Jimmy had. I came along much later.
I'll always treasure this photo in particular, of the many I have in my collection.
I hope you like it too and the history behind it.

Cheers.

KRK

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  "Maintenance-of-Way" chores at Palmdale, CA... Ken Shattock (aka 'KRK') 11-04-2009 - 14:26
  Re: "Maintenance-of-Way" chores at Palmdale, CA... SLOCONDR 11-04-2009 - 20:43
  Re: "Maintenance-of-Way" chores at Palmdale, CA... Freericks 11-04-2009 - 21:58
  Re: "Maintenance-of-Way" chores at Palmdale, CA... Tom Moungovan 11-05-2009 - 05:50
  Re: "Maintenance-of-Way" chores at Palmdale, CA... Freericks 11-05-2009 - 06:55
  Re: saving the past Tom Moungovan 11-05-2009 - 09:38
  Re: "Maintenance-of-Way" chores in the Sierras? Dragoman 11-05-2009 - 12:26
  Re: "Maintenance-of-Way" chores in the Sierras? Freericks 11-05-2009 - 18:38
  Re: "Maintenance-of-Way" chores in the Sierras? Dragoman 11-05-2009 - 21:25

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com