Civility and Youth
Author: Scott Schiechl
Date: 11-30-2009 - 20:46

I can remember my very first railfan excursion. It was a PRS trip in the very late 60s out of LA to Bakersfield. One way via Tehachepe [sic} and return via Cajon....I think. Anyway, I can not recall the power or the consist or the sights. What I most recall is the middle-aged couple in the SP 3/4 dome who spent a good 45 mins @#$%& to anyone and everyone about too many kids on the train. "No one should be allowed who are under 18." I know that I was their main target but I didn't have the heart to tell them I was 19. My point is, their lack of civility almost made me abandon raifanning.

People, youth will keep this hobby alive when you and I have gone the way of steam engines. And yet how do we treat them? Do we encourage their questions? Do we make way for them at a photo line? All too often on fantrips and at other gatherings I have seen members of the railfan community demonstrate a total lack of civility toward young people.

Come pn people, be the adults here! Watch your language and behavior. Treat kids like people. Be civil to each other if you want civility shown to you. OK, now its time for all of you to weigh in.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Civility and Youth Scott Schiechl 11-30-2009 - 20:46
  Re: Civility and Youth z 11-30-2009 - 21:49
  Re: Civility and Youth Oldtimer 12-01-2009 - 07:50
  And if politics gets injected WATCH OUT!! <> 12-01-2009 - 10:24

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com