Key System/SP Now - Part 5 105th St
Author: John
Date: 12-05-2009 - 19:20

This is the last in the series of pictures that I took today. It is of the street trackage on 105th St that served the Durant(GM) factory on then continued on to Bancroft and the larger GM factory where Eastmont Mall now stands.

The line has been severed from the WP but I think the line when in operation was part of the SP. Once the track crosses East 14th ( it will never by International Blvd to me! ) it dead ends along side the old Durant/Gm factory and the current AC Transit bus yard. I tried to find evidence of the tracks on the other side of the yard but was unable to. What street did the tracks contine up? 105th past that point looks way too narrow to support the heavy train trafiic that those factories were producing during the 40's and 50's. Once at Bancroft the only way you tell where the ROW curved heading West is by the age of the houses built on the old ROW. They don't match the age or style of the rest of the block. On Brancroft there is no sign of the railroad left other than the wide medium in the street for a time you could see in teh pavement were the siding to the battery factory at 98th was removed but that was all torn-up a few years ago once someone realized they built a park on an old lead battery factory site. Was there anyother industry served on the street between 105th and the GM factory I don't remember any but I was pretty young back then.

Thank you once again and if any of you want me to take better quality pictures of any past SP or Key Systems sites you might remember from your youth please let me know I will try my best to get them for you in the next few weeks.

John Delapena
jed747@yahoo.com

Pic #1 the 105th St branch leaving the WP ROW - is that small building in the picture of any railroad heritage? for years it was painted grey, but recently it has been painted the current color.

Pic #2 street trackage on 105th St

Pic #3 The facade of the old Durant Motors/GM Factory when Oakland actually had industry and jobs

Pic #4 Bancroft and Dutton end of the line for the Key System and my posting for tonight....I know some of you are glad for that.....One last question I have heard that the trains had a ballon track at this location thus the current road configuration and I have heard that the tracks just ended in the middle of the street and the street configuration was such to allow the drop off and pick-up of passengers from cars more easily. Oh and for those of you that remember this area from long ago the Lords ice cream shop is still at the same location on the corner after all these years.

105 at WP/San Leandro St

105 st track

Durant factory facade

end of the line bancroft/dutton

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Key System/SP Now - Part 5 105th St John 12-05-2009 - 19:20
  Re: Key System/SP Now - Part 5 105th St Dragoman 12-06-2009 - 13:24
  Re: Key System/SP Now - Part 5 105th St Tony J. 12-06-2009 - 13:44
  Re: Key System/SP Now - Part 5 105th St OPRRMS 12-07-2009 - 13:29
  Re: Key System/SP Now - Part 5 105th St stash 12-06-2009 - 22:06
  Re: Key System/SP Now - Part 5 105th St Henry Miller 12-09-2009 - 12:33

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com