Re: I Retrned to Cajon Pass Today After 15 Years
Author: Mike Stimpson
Date: 12-09-2009 - 10:52

I like just below Summit (the Knoll or the hill just above it on the other side of the tracks). And of course I like Stein's Hill.

I found a new place last time I was up there. It's overlooking the upper Mojave Narrows. From the southeast corner of bridge at the upper end of Victorville (F street?) you go south and downhill for about 20 feet, then start climbing. It's a scramble, not a technical climb - if you have to use your hands, back off and look for a different route. Don't go to the highest point overlooking the narrows on this side. Go to the first sub-peak on the Victorville side instead. It's got as good sight lines, it's less windy, and it isn't rounded toward the drop-off side.

From this point, you can see from the Frost crossover clear down to the I-15 bridge in Victorville. It's an incredible view! Bring your biggest lens - you'll be able to use every bit of it. Oh, yes, it's morning sun.

I have never seen any pictures from this point. I took a couple, but it was afternoon when I found it, and I didn't have a good camera, so I haven't published them.

WARNINGS: Watch for rattlesnakes. I didn't see any, but I'd bet they're there. And most especially, at the top, WATCH OUT FOR WIND GUSTS! You're right on the edge of a cliff, and a gust could really ruin your day - or the rest of your life. Use a lot of caution along the edge. Keep some margin of safety. Finally, it's steeper coming down than it was going up. Take your time, and be careful.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  I Retrned to Cajon Pass Today After 15 Years Marty Bernard 12-08-2009 - 18:16
  Re: I Retrned to Cajon Pass Today After 15 Years Mike Stimpson 12-09-2009 - 10:52

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com