BNSF Grain Trains
Author: Butler
Date: 04-13-2007 - 08:58

I live adjacent to BNSF's "funnel" just east of Spokane WA. When home I am able to observe train traffic, at least when it is sufficiently light outside to see some detail. I can even tell the grainers at night since they have a very uniform and distinctive sound. Currently only westbound grain trains (and the occasional potash train) are the only BNSF trains with DPU on this line.

There seem to be a lot of unit grain trains on the move. Even the "normal" power consists have changed somewhat. "Normal" consists are usually two dash 9s (or EVOs) on the front and one or two in DPU on the rear; OR three (or more) on the front and no DPU.

I have recently seen several grainers with foreign power in the mix. UP SD70s, CSX and NS units, BNSF SD70MACs, even the occasional SD60 or SD40-2.

The tunnels on MRL are not yet wired for DPU power, so it seems safe to presume that grainers with DPU have come across the former GN "highline". Trains without DPU may have moved via either route. Then there is the occasional DM&E grain train, notable for their eclectic collection of covered hoppers.

Conclusions? Perhaps grain prices are up or the export market is strong.

Bruce Butler

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  BNSF Grain Trains Butler 04-13-2007 - 08:58
  BNSF Grain Trains Bruce Kelly 04-13-2007 - 10:23
  Re: BNSF Grain Trains Marc 04-13-2007 - 10:51
  Re: BNSF Grain Trains Green Jeans 04-13-2007 - 11:35
  Re: BNSF Grain Trains Bruce Kelly 04-13-2007 - 11:55
  Potash train incident Butler 04-13-2007 - 12:09
  Re: Butler hepkema 04-13-2007 - 12:04
  Re: Butler Gunner 04-13-2007 - 21:06

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com