Re: #2472 passes FRA inspection.
Author: Gunner
Date: 04-13-2007 - 20:19

Passing the test is good news. There is probably a months worth of work to do getting the rods and jacket and piping back together, plus some painting. If you look at the map of Niles Canyon RR, there aren't any wyes or turntables, and even though the route is actually an SP mainline, it has to be operated at restricted speed do to track conditions. I'm sure there will be some kind of demonstration runs, and maybe a photo freight or passenger special. My bet is that with all of potential problems of running on class I track and accessing other regionals, the operations of the 2472 might turn out to be exhibition trips similar to what the 3751 has done lately, and not excusrions. It really takes a big trip and lots of funding to do a genuine trip like the 4449 does once a year, and it means bringing in several cars to make the ticket revenue big enough to cover it all. Maybe something like Operation Lifesaver or an event at Sacramento would be a reason to run, even if regular tickets couldn't be sold. That probably eliminates the insurance requirements too for passenger liabilities. I look forward to hearing an announcement from Golden Gate RR Museum and PLA letting us know when something is ready to happen.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  #2472 passes FRA inspection. Mike Pechner 04-13-2007 - 16:52
  Re: #2472 passes FRA inspection. Gene 04-13-2007 - 18:43
  Re: #2472 passes FRA inspection. Gunner 04-13-2007 - 20:19
  Re: #2472 passes FRA inspection. JST3751 04-14-2007 - 08:56
  Re: #2472 passes FRA inspection. Stevo del Applegato 04-16-2007 - 11:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com