"Lightning Bolts", etc.
Author: Tom McCann
Date: 01-05-2010 - 17:40

It's been 15 years since Chicago & North Western disappeared into Union Pacific, and there are still a few C&NW-schemed locomotives floating around the system.

I spotted one of these, a GE widecab in the "Lightning Stripe" scheme, in the Portland area Jan. 4, operating as the DPU on a westbound grain train parked in the Hemlock siding in Gresham (along the Kenton Line). I saw it from a distance, so I was unable to determine if it was "patched" with a UP road number, but it still had its C&NW striping.

It may have gone into Barnes Yard in north Portland, or could have gone up the BNSF Seattle Sub to Kalama, Wash. Either way, it could still be in the area if anyone seeks a "catch and release" photo opportunity.

Also spotted along the Kenton Line Jan. 4: a pair of ex-Katy GP39-2s operating in local service. The two locomotives were heading east at CP Kenton with two cars for one of the industrial customers along the line. These were both in Armour Yellow.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  "Lightning Bolts", etc. Tom McCann 01-05-2010 - 17:40
  Re: "Lightning Bolts", etc. Steven D. Johnson 01-06-2010 - 09:07
  Re: "Lightning Bolts", etc. Tom McCann 01-06-2010 - 10:00
  Re: "Lightning Bolts", etc. Steven D. Johnson 01-06-2010 - 10:25
  Re: "Lightning Bolts", etc. Tom McCann 01-07-2010 - 00:08
  Re: "Lightning Bolts", etc. George Andrews 01-07-2010 - 05:47

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com