Re: Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today?
Author: Coal Slaw
Date: 01-09-2010 - 15:49

In response to the question "could the Golden Gate Bridge even get built today" - there was a book published with the past 15-20 years about the Golden Gate Bridge which noted that there were conservationists who opposed its construction fearing it would ruin the view of San Francisco Bay. Unfortunately, I do not remember the title.

But the bridge builders prevailed.

PNWRailfan Wrote:
> I'll contend that we need re-write the endangered
> species act so that is not so absolute, but goes
> to mediation between industry and conservation
> groups. Environmentalists are killing this nation
> by claiming that the rearranged spots on some such
> animal represent a new "endangered" species that
> needs to be protected, hence using the endangered
> species act as a club to kill any project they
> desire.

While PNWRailfan and others slam environmentalists, nowhere in the sf gate article were any environmental organizations cited as opposing the project.

With respect to the Endangered Species Act, federal and state transportation agencies have engaged in thousands of consultations with the US Fish & Wildlife Service and their state counterparts to discuss or resolve potential impacts on endangered species. In most cases, the issues are resolved and projects move forward. The media does not report on these discussions becuase they do not make for interesting articles (After all, who would want to read an article about bureaucrats in agreement?).

I managed the environmental and planning studies for a transportation project where state and federal endangered species were present. We had discussions with both state and federal wildlife protection agencies, came up with a plan to build the project without harm to endangered species and now construction is underway.

There was no significant opposition from the environmental community to this project or any others undertaken by my employer during the 20 years I've worked there. Additionally, one of my employer's former board members was a key officer in the local chapter of the Sierra Club and she was highly supportive of all of the agency's construction projects.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Transbay Terminal fight continues synonymouse 01-08-2010 - 10:24
  Re: Transbay Terminal fight continues synonymouse 01-08-2010 - 10:25
  Re: Transbay Terminal fight continues Espee99 01-08-2010 - 12:53
  Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today? pdxrailtransit 01-08-2010 - 14:14
  Re: Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today? Castlebridge 01-08-2010 - 17:07
  Re: Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today? Q 01-08-2010 - 18:15
  Re: Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today? Roger E 01-09-2010 - 09:11
  Re: Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today? PNWRailfan 01-09-2010 - 09:50
  Re: Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today? Coal Slaw 01-09-2010 - 15:49
  Re: Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today? E 01-09-2010 - 09:30
  Re: Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today? History 01-09-2010 - 11:15
  Re: Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today? D 01-09-2010 - 13:37
  Re: Could Golden Gate Bridge even get built today? Q 01-09-2010 - 13:55

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com