Re: LAT closes Costa Mesa, CA
Author: Richard Elgenson
Date: 01-09-2010 - 08:43

The Times has had problems delivering its paper to one of my Orange County work associates. Twice in the last 3 months, for a period of a week at a time, no paper arrived. Complaints did not change the situation. He canceled The Times and now has the OC Register delivered. The bottom line is if the delivery person can't get the paper at a destination at a convenient time, subscribers will quit. I had the same problem many years ago which was remedied quickly. I quit The Times after they sold out to The Tribune Company. For any who are interested, PBS in the Los Angeles area had a documentary, "Inventing L.A.: The Chandlers and Their Times", about the Chandler family, past owner of The Times. It was an important regional newspaper and the owners involved themselves in community work. The downtown LA building Dorothy Chandler Pavilion was named after the matriarch of The Times.

On a related note, the UP probably still has deliveries to the area of Alton and Susan Streets in Costa Mesa. As far as a run around is concerned, there is one on Alton between Susan St. and Fairview St. This branch was reconstructed some years ago. Until the reconstruction of the I-405 freeway 5-7 years ago, there was a rail tunnel through the freeway. There still are rails visible along the Metro Car Wash on Harbor Blvd, south of the freeway between Dale Way and Village Way.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  LAT closes Costa Mesa, CA Dave Frevele 01-08-2010 - 16:49
  Re: LAT closes Costa Mesa, CA mook 01-08-2010 - 18:29
  Re: LAT closes Costa Mesa, CA Carol L. Voss 01-08-2010 - 19:55
  Re: LAT closes Costa Mesa, CA Richard Elgenson 01-09-2010 - 08:43
  Re: LAT closes Costa Mesa, CA BOB2 01-09-2010 - 09:39
  Re: LAT closes Costa Mesa, CA Dave Dodds 01-09-2010 - 11:49
  Re: LAT closes Costa Mesa, CA Exchequer 01-09-2010 - 14:57
  Re: LAT closes Costa Mesa, CA George Andrews 01-09-2010 - 14:54
  Re: LAT closes Costa Mesa, CA Sgt. Joe Friday 01-09-2010 - 15:08
  Re: LAT closes Costa Mesa Dave Frevele 01-09-2010 - 17:16

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com