Yuba Pass (nothing newsworthy, just an attempt to end a useless debate)
Author: JS
Date: 01-11-2010 - 11:13

I don't mean to bring this debate up again, but after the useless thread that resulted from a fine photograph by Mr. Jacksich below, well, I stumbled across this and wanted to resolve it once and for all. I've been reading the book "30 years Over Donner" by Bill Fisher, a former signal maintainer of over 30 years on the Hill. Throughout the book, he refers to "Yuba Pass" all the time, as this is the proper name of the station. HOWEVER, on page 65, and I quote, "At Yuba Gap highway overcrossing I stopped". So, while the station is in fact Yuba Pass on timetables, there is also a location referred to by at least one veteran railroad man as "Yuba Gap". There is no law that says you must refer to a location by timetable stations only and since all Drew's shots are in the vicinity of BOTH locations and not at the exact milepost of either, either one is correct, so let it go already...

Having said all of that, Mr. Jacksich, you post some amazing photos that many of us were either not around to see or can only picture as childhood memories. As someone that has spent hundreds of dollars on Southern Pacific books, it is incredibly refreshing to know there is someone out there that is willing to share his photos for free. As far as I am concerned, you could easily make a profit off of your fine photographs if you were so inclined, but that does not seem to be your motive, as you seem to enjoy sharing your photos with us for free. I for one cannot thank you enough and as they are YOUR SP photographs, you can label them Southern Railway shot in Shanghai for all I care, they are your photographs! For you to leave this site because of the minority bashers would be a loss of a major asset on this site and I for one am sick and tired of seeing you bashed. OK, I am off my soapbox now, flame on...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Yuba Pass (nothing newsworthy, just an attempt to end a useless debate) JS 01-11-2010 - 11:13
  Re: Yuba Pass (nothing newsworthy, just an attempt to end a useless debate) Steve Sloan 01-11-2010 - 11:28
  Re: Yuba Pass (nothing newsworthy, just an attempt to end a useless debate) Juppo 01-13-2010 - 12:13
  Re: Yuba Pass (nothing newsworthy, just an attempt to end a useless debate) Mike T. 01-15-2010 - 09:34

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com