Re: Rochester MN
Author: almo
Date: 04-18-2007 - 23:10

I agree Hudson.

I don't understand that an increase in traffic (and unmentioned upgrade to handle heavier cars, speed) would constitute a predicted "Lionel" style of train operations. Does this person think that increased rail traffic means that trains will run at Acela speeds and have curves like a train set under the Christmas tree?

Yeah, a derailment can include evacuations, HazMat, police and other things that require organizations abroad to help remedy. Nobody wants a disaster in their backyard.

The same can be said to any semi truck on the road. Given the situations up here in Canada, the trucking industry is WAY too lax about inspections on truck safety. Even government roadblock inspections reveal blocked brake lines, worn brake pads, tire damage beyond repair, log book fraud and other infractions that take about every fourth or fifth cab off the road immediately. The drivers complain that severe competition forces them to comprimise safety to ensure money can be made. Is that safe?

What would you deem safer in operation:
A 1" steel flange keeping a 100ton railcar situated on a convex head of a 3-1/2" rail or
A soft rubber inflatable disc pressurized at 35psi, spinning at 400-500 rpm, supporting a 40ton loaded trailer on hot asphalt.

I guess it's your personal opinion------

I don't know why these ignorant citizen rants get published by the newspapers. I guess it's the right to freedom of speech, but really, please do some research before letting the masses hear what your opinoin is. It really does nothing for your cause.

almo

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Railroad Newsline for Wednesday, 04/18/07 Larry W. Grant 04-18-2007 - 00:00
  Rochester MN Tom Krummell 04-18-2007 - 06:58
  Re: Rochester MN Hudson Stillwater 04-18-2007 - 13:25
  Re: Rochester MN almo 04-18-2007 - 23:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com