spreaders at Brighton getting ready to go
Author: mook
Date: 01-17-2010 - 17:30

As of Thursday evening the remaining 2 spreaders at the rebuild operation at Brighton (near Sacramento) looked like they're nearly ready to go. UP 555 has been there for a couple of weeks apparently providing power. Not sure I'd like to trip over THOSE extension cords! ;) For the last week or so there seem to have been various tests going on (observed from rush hour light rail so the view is brief - but flashers on the cab roofs were on several mornings at 0-dark-630).

At one point there were at least 4 spreaders at the location, where work has been going on since October. Two were stripped down to yellow frames (looked like very heavy duty centerbeam cars) and the others apparently got lighter work. The stripped frames were left for last. Looks like they got pretty much brand new everything including smooth-side very orange cabs. Work has been very slow - probably somebody's spare time job away from whatever else the Mechanical Dept. has going.

Unfortunately, no pix because 1) I always forget the camera (headsmack!); 2) it's still pretty dark in the AM and I'm usually standing where I can't shoot out the window on the PM train; and 3) you only get 5-10 sec. then the light rail's around the corner on the bridge. The location is pretty remote from public roads (possibly one reason it was done there?). Stopping on the freeway shoulder on the bridge is NOT recommended (it's very narrow and the traffic's crazy). You might see something with a long lens from Redding Ave. at the light rail crossing or the end of Brighton Ave. Otherwise you're trespassing to see it from the ground. Location is at the lumber delivery spurs behind Dorris Lumber (per Google) which haven't been used for that purpose in over a year. Best view is probably from a San Joaquin Amtrak going by on a daytime schedule.

Did UP do this because nobody builds or heavy-repairs Jordans any more? The two strippers are now for practical purposes brand new machines.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  spreaders at Brighton getting ready to go mook 01-17-2010 - 17:30
  Re: spreaders at Brighton getting ready to go George Andrews 01-17-2010 - 19:59
  Re: spreader rebuilding video Graham Buxton 01-17-2010 - 20:10
  Re: spreader rebuilding video mook 01-17-2010 - 21:57
  Re: spreader rebuilding video mook 01-17-2010 - 21:58
  Re: spreader rebuilding video RW 01-17-2010 - 23:49
  Re: Spreaders Up the Hill Dave W 01-19-2010 - 10:32

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com