Re: The Freeway Overpass collapse in Oakland this morning? Affecting train traffic at all???
Author: cbaoverbob
Date: 04-30-2007 - 22:38

I am a superintendant for a bridge constructio company that has been doing a retrofit job at this location for about 6 months. I got a call Sun. morning to come out to the jobsite, let me tell you that it was quite a surprise. The portion of the bridge that was still attatched to its cap was only held there by the restrainer rods that we installed 5 years ago on another contract. The portion in the middle that has the 2 columns remaining upright is MB-19, we were going to begin work on it in 2 weeks. The portion that came off of its cap is MB-20, we had just installed the brackets for the restrainer rods there last week and had not yet installed the rods. The public should be aware that the upper portion that collapsed was built with composite welded girders, and will be rebuilt the same way. The problem with this is that these girders are fabricated from steel plate welded together to Caltrans design. Just getting the steel for this specialty item will be tough challenge. I did a job last year with these same type girders and was delayed 4 months because of production problems (Bay Bridge).

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  The Freeway Overpass collapse in Oakland this morning? Affecting train traffic at all??? Coleman Randall 04-29-2007 - 11:51
  Re: The Freeway Overpass collapse in Oakland this morning? Affecting train traffic at all??? D Yates 04-29-2007 - 13:07
  Re: From the CC Rail Mail Chris 04-29-2007 - 13:15
  Re: From the CC Rail Mail CSK 04-29-2007 - 17:09
  Re: From the CC Rail Mail chris bekiaris 04-29-2007 - 20:06
  Re: From the CC Rail Mail Mike Swanson 04-30-2007 - 10:40
  Re: From the CC Rail Mail Q 05-02-2007 - 23:35
  Re: The Freeway Overpass collapse in Oakland this morning? Affecting train traffic at all??? cbaoverbob 04-30-2007 - 22:38

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com