Subways
Author: almo
Date: 05-06-2007 - 22:25

Just got back from Montreal (again), and this time had a little venture to the "Big-O" Olympic stadium. Fantastic, and sure memorable. Because of the proximity of the stadium to downtown, I got to ride the wonderful subway. The one thing that interested me was the cars all had rubber tires and rode on cement "rails" for traction. I have never seen or heard of this being done on any other transit system anywhere. Can anyone confirm if this is the only subway to do this?

Also found myself scrambling to find the WB subway at Pie-IX station (sounds like Pee-Noof. named after a Pope, or Saint, got the jist of it when translated into broken english). I had missed the WB by about twenty seconds and it smelled like somebody was barbequeing on the platform. I asked the person next to me if something is on fire. He happened to work for the stadium and said that the subway's brake shoes were made out of canola oil saturated hardwood. I laughed so hard at that statement. A stagecoach subway? Not often do you get an answer that seems so far from the truth. Well, I just Googled the Montreal Metro, and a website confirms what that fellow told me. WHAT? That subway was first constructed in the early 1960's. It sounds like reverse technology, but what other odd proven old-school technology have we yet to build a better mousetrap for?

almo

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Subways almo 05-06-2007 - 22:25
  Re: Subways Stan-messenger 05-07-2007 - 00:13
  Re: Subways Ernest H. Robl 05-07-2007 - 07:22
  Re: Subways Richard Elgenson 05-07-2007 - 07:26
  Re: Subways J 05-07-2007 - 09:38
  Re: Subways Mike Swanson 05-08-2007 - 07:21
  Re: Subways almo 05-09-2007 - 23:44
  Re: Subways Mike Swanson 05-10-2007 - 12:44
  Re: Subways Jackal 05-15-2007 - 20:37
  Re: Subways S.L. Murray 05-07-2007 - 07:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com