Vic Neves, the Napa Valley 50 and the Wine Train
Author: Mike Pechner
Date: 05-02-2010 - 21:18

Vic called me a few weeks ago and asked if I ever rode the "Tour de Cure" a benefit bike ride for the American Diabetes Assoc. I said sure, I have done for about 5 years and he said he was going to do it and asked me to join him. We left Cordelia at 7:30 am Sunday and by the time we got to the Veterans Home at Yountville, parked my car and registered we were on the road at 8:30 am. I should tell you that there is a 10, 25, 50, 80 and 100 mile ride. We chose the 50 because both of us had afternoon commitments. The 50 miler follows the Napa Wine Train along Hiway 29 to St, Helena then goes to Calistoga to the Silverado Trail south to Oak Knoll and back along 29 to Yountville. Despite Vics' flat tire ten minutes into the ride we did the 50 miles in around 5 hours which included the four rest stops. Just as we pulled across the Wine Tracks, we heard the distinctive of the FA-2. The train was going slow and stopped much to our surprise to left some folks off how gotonto awaiting tour bus. The fireman dropped down from the cab for a smoke and we asked him about the stop. He said the 20 year opposition by locals in St. Helena has finally been overturned by the local merchants who got the City Council to vote for the stops. Local businesses said they wanted the train stops to help business during the tough economic times. One other small little item we noticed while cycling; the last section of original 65 pound rail has finally been replaced with 90 pound rail. It was a great ride on a beautiful warm day and we even managed get a little railroading!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Vic Neves, the Napa Valley 50 and the Wine Train Mike Pechner 05-02-2010 - 21:18
  Re: Vic Neves, the Napa Valley 50 and the Wine Train Espee99 05-03-2010 - 08:01
  Re: Vic Neves, the Napa Valley 50 and the Wine Train What the...?!! 05-03-2010 - 13:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com