Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 05-07-2010 - 01:10

I'll have to spend some more time on this.

The reason I brought it up is that when I asked for a refund (via email), my reason for a refund was that I felt it was clear in thier terms that I cannot vend my photos using Flickr, although I initally overlooked this and subsequently did not think it would suit my needs. I also pointed out that I had not used the service I paid for whatsoever, and could we please just cancel the subscription.

Now, I'm trusting my memeory on this, but I also seem to recall very clear language that the images may or may not be selected for use by Getty Images, at the discretion of Flickr or its partners.

I later received an email from their Customer Service that stated they did not know what 'vend' meant. I wrote back: "To vend: Sell, distribute for money, like a vending machine. A vendor is one who offers products for sale" This was my, definition, not Websters'. They wrote back that they would forward my request/complaint to a senior rep. I later received a confirmation from the Senior Rep, that no refund was due, as it was clear in the terms that Flickr is for photosharing, not for selling pictures.

I still feel that their terms spell out that it does not allow links to a website where the picture can be purchased, as this notion simply circumvents their policy of not using Flickr as an advertising medium. If I recall correctly, the language was also clear that pasting in a web address inside the picture in lieu of a link was also prohibited. That's fine, I'm OK with that! If that's their policy, so be it, I will look elsewhere.

Anyway, I haven't gone back into their policies, and I don't know if what I initally read was for the Pro Account or the regular account. The terms for either may be significantly different.

Although I didn't like their customer service, and the fact that they didn't know what 'vend' meant (look it up???!), I will say that the few times I used my free account earlier in the year, I was pretty satisfied. It was easy to use, and not cluttered with useless crap. If I had no intention of "VENDING", I would certainly continue to use it! It had fast uploads with regular DSL, and had some basic photo editing and cataloging tools...for free!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Flickr concerns/alternatives Steven D. Johnson 05-03-2010 - 14:13
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Jared 05-04-2010 - 07:38
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Steven D. Johnson 05-04-2010 - 14:32
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives mook 05-05-2010 - 12:25
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives The Toad 05-05-2010 - 16:27
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Graham Buxton 05-05-2010 - 19:14
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Drew Jacksich 05-05-2010 - 22:33
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Mike T. 05-10-2010 - 16:36
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives AC 05-06-2010 - 19:32
  Re: Flickr concerns/alternatives Steven D. Johnson 05-07-2010 - 01:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com