Re: Trail BC
Author: jbbane
Date: 05-06-2010 - 17:50

I have been traveling through the Nelson area on vacations and railfaning the area for 25+ years, but in no way am an expert on the area. I do however offer a few scattered thoughts on the abandonment of the Nelson and Ft. Sheppard line (ROW apparently still owned by BNSF per the prominent enter at your own risk signage). #1 The line operationally had a long stiff climb from the CPR connection on the shore of the West arm of Kootenay lake near Nelson to a Summit at about Salmo. #2 The line runs through an area subject to deep snows so again not a favorable line to operate given very low traffic levels. #3 There would be no apparent advantage to routing West bound cross border traffic such a grain trains from the prairies on this line rather than on the SI farther East which is a much more direct route dropping down to Spokane. #4 The line was originally built by GN to compete with the CPR for mining related traffic during the turn of the century era when both companies operated steam boats on the lake to connect with scattered communities along the lake shores. The traffic and reasons for the line to exist probably faded away half a century or more ago. Also he big sawmill that once dominated the water front on the West side of Nelson closed about 26 or 27 years ago as I recall and that was probably the only likely shipper in the area that might have used the rr. The former N &FS line is still operated to a sawmill I think at Fruitvale by a short line operator, and rails and ties are pulled from there East.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Kellogg, Idaho enterprise 05-03-2010 - 20:13
  Re: Kellogg, Idaho Dilbert 05-03-2010 - 21:07
  Re: Kellogg, Idaho - Sunshine Mine Graham Buxton 05-03-2010 - 21:14
  Re: Kellogg, Idaho - Sunshine Mine L.A.Scrafford 05-04-2010 - 09:12
  Re: Kellogg, Idaho - Sunshine Mine up833 05-04-2010 - 16:58
  Trail BC Tabasco 05-05-2010 - 17:18
  Re: Trail BC jbbane 05-06-2010 - 17:50

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com