K&O operations questions
Author: ShortlinesUSA
Date: 06-09-2010 - 06:45

Looks like work will take me to Wichita later this month, and I am planning to make a day (Monday) available for photographing the K&O. I am hoping they should be pretty busy, as it looks like that should be during or toward the tail end of the wheat harvest. I am hoping some of you can help with a few questions to narrow down where to look for action on the eastern end of the system.

Are there some reliable on duty locations within a couple of hours of Wichita where trains typically originate? I would like to start Monday morning somewhere away from Wichita, and plan on working back that way during the high sun hours, maybe ending the day a bit closer to Wichita since that is where I have to stay Monday night.

Do certain types of power tend to be in any one geographic region of the system? I note they have a couple of older GP9s on the roster (at least, looking at the 2010 Kerr roster), as well as a batch of ex CN GP40-2Ls. These units would be at the top of my list for photographing, as they are favorites. I am not going to be too picky, because I know the Watco roster is pretty varied on paint schemes. I would, however, prefer to steer clear of lease paint scheme units (such as the pair of Helm painted GP38s that seem to be in Salina, or were during the time period for which I found photos), but I will take whatever I can get.

Finally, any general observations on the operations system-wide are welcomed, though it is highly unlikely I am going to be able to get more than a few hours west of Wichita due to time constraints. If they operate on Sundays anywhere on the system, that would be helpful to know, as I may get in early enough to get some evening shots with the long days of June.

I greatly appreciate any assistance that can be offered.

Mike Derrick
[www.shortlinesusa.com]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  K&O operations questions ShortlinesUSA 06-09-2010 - 06:45
  Re: K&O operations questions Mike M 06-09-2010 - 14:15

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com