Re: Slim Chance for NCRA-NWP - or was it Fat chance
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 06-22-2010 - 23:43

>>. I could never understand how the courts could ever find that constitutional.

Actually, the US Constitution itself requires super majorities for a number of things, and a few submajorities for some others. It also oddly enough, requires each house to appoint a chaplain, ostensibly to lead in daily prayer. Go figure.

As Thomas Jefferson wrote (I think it was him), Government derives its just powers by the consent of the governed. The question then becomes just how to measure that consent. What percentage constitutes consent. Is it really OK for the 50.1% to cram it down the throat of the 49.9% - I think not. Perhaps the 50.1% could vote to execute the 49.9%. I hope not! Just jail them maybe - or tax them. . . .

Maybe it's just that too many Americans have forgotten what the Constitution really does say. We are NOT actually a democracy, but instead a "Republic", being governed by elected officers who are supposed to represent us. It is actually they who are supposed to make the decisions - not us.

It's just as well anyway; given how you and I (in the collective sense) can never agree on much of anything anyway; pure democracy using any particular percentage, would still be constantly stymied by indecision, or constantly reversing decisions at that. Pure Democracy is totally un-workable - always was - always will be.

The problem is not the "party of no" or any other shallow nonsensical buzzwords, but parties in general; or "factions", as the founding fathers disparagingly referred to them. They have effectively neutralized the system of checks and balances in the Constitution, and thus we see extremism of all sorts everywhere. Only the extreme get their way anymore. There is no more finding common ground between competing concerns. It's all one way - their way or the highway. That is the real reason nothing is ever resolved!

And frankly, it may be a good thing to have a "party of no" around. They just might slow the "party of anything goes" down enough to actually think things through; to actually read the bill before signing it. Hell - it might even be nice to write the dam bill before voting and signing on it.

I am reminded of a gag line attributed to Will Rogers. After a long seeming diatribe against your "Party of No"; he said, "The only reason to ever vote republican, is democrats!" A pox on 'em both in my ever humble opinion!

But the real problem is and was and will always be, that we voters have failed time and time again to elect the best and brightest among us (we elect the worst while demoralizing and driving away the best); have failed to find out what our "leaders" are really doing (instead we just fantasize about what they did or will do); then we fail to hold them to account, holding to the good of the party at all cost, rather than to the good of the country.

Moreover, we voters consistently fail to account for the greater good, rather than just our own selfish interests (NYMBYism for example). California's fine mess is our own damn fault as voters, and we truly deserve what we are getting - and the far worse that is surely coming.

In short; "We have met the enemy - and he is us!"

OPB

dang! I think I forgot to mention trains in that rant - Oh well. Since corrupt politicians are now making all the decisions about trains anyhow anymore - it applies to railroads as well. And to car makers, and house builders, and steel mills, and coal mines, and utilities, and oil drillers, and refineries, and hospitals, and. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  NCRA-NWP now shooting for startup in October synonymouse 06-22-2010 - 12:43
  Re: NCRA-NWP now shooting for startup in October Espee99 06-22-2010 - 15:14
  Re: NCRA-NWP now shooting for startup in October WAF 06-22-2010 - 17:36
  Re: NCRA-NWP now shooting for startup in October Stirling City Branch 06-22-2010 - 17:43
  Re: NCRA-NWP now shooting for startup in October WAF 06-22-2010 - 18:19
  Re: NCRA-NWP now shooting for startup in October 505 Alive 06-22-2010 - 18:34
  Re: NCRA-NWP now shooting for startup in October Cordes 06-22-2010 - 20:32
  Slim Chance for NCRA-NWP - or was it Fat chance OldPoleBurner 06-22-2010 - 20:30
  Re: Slim Chance for NCRA-NWP - or was it Fat chance SD-45 06-22-2010 - 21:18
  Re: Slim Chance for NCRA-NWP - or was it Fat chance Drew Jacksich 06-22-2010 - 22:57
  Re: Slim Chance for NCRA-NWP - or was it Fat chance OldPoleBurner 06-22-2010 - 23:43
  Re: Slim Chance for NCRA-NWP - or was it Fat chance ej 06-23-2010 - 04:55
  Re: Slim Chance for NCRA-NWP - or was it Fat chance George Manley 06-23-2010 - 10:21
  Re: Slim Chance for NCRA-NWP - or was it Fat chance Mike Pechner 06-23-2010 - 17:55
  Re: Slim Chance for NCRA-NWP - or was it Fat chance Espee99 06-23-2010 - 18:26
  Re: update for NCRA-NWP weed cutting dave l 06-23-2010 - 19:58
  Re: update for NCRA-NWP weed cutting Wizard 06-23-2010 - 21:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com