Re: I Don't Think $200 Million Is Going To Cut The Mustard
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 08-27-2010 - 18:01

>> But I'm not a lawyer, so my reading of the Constitution might be a bit too plain for some people.

You are reading of the words of the Constitution just fine!

As long as those words actually mean what they mean - that is. And they did when the founding fathers first wrote them. But when today's mealy mouthed courts get done with those words, they will mean whatever the crooked judge feels like on that day. Next day it will be a different judge = different ruling. Kind of like a roulette wheel.

My lawyer once told me to take a really crappy settlement; because going in front of a judge or jury is nothing but a "Crap Shoot" anyway. The outcome has absolutely nothing at all to do with right or wrong, truth, justice; nor the American way - and nothing to to do with the actual words in the law either. That's what he said! And I have since heard similar sentiments from other lawyer friends as well.

Question - from the article, it was unclear if Connex is going to have to pay or not.

Seems they should be paying the most. After-all, It was their employee that did the dirty deed. And most importantly, it was their willful refusal to fire him on similar prior incidences, and their well documented failure to maintain customary rail industry standards of supervision; that enabled their employees to continue doing those dirty deeds in the first place. Without Connex managements tacit consent (same as full cooperation), this accident and several others at MetroLink would simply not have happened.

They (Connex) should pay most of it - even if it puts them and their parent companies out of business!

Wouldn't be much of a loss anyway - to the public good in fact!

OPB

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  I Don't Think $200 Million Is Going To Cut The Mustard A FELA Lawyer, Perhaps? 08-25-2010 - 21:51
  Re: Take the money and run. Severe Duty 08-26-2010 - 04:38
  Re: Take the money and run. George Andrews 08-26-2010 - 11:17
  Re: I Don't Think $200 Million Is Going To Cut The Mustard BOB2 08-27-2010 - 11:07
  Re: I Don't Think $200 Million Is Going To Cut The Mustard Mike T. 08-27-2010 - 11:53
  Re: I Don't Think $200 Million Is Going To Cut The Mustard OldPoleBurner 08-27-2010 - 18:01
  Re: I Don't Think $200 Million Is Going To Cut The Mustard BOB2 08-29-2010 - 08:42
  Re: I Don't Think $200 Million Is Going To Cut The Mustard Also not a Lawyer 08-29-2010 - 15:34

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com