Re: Hard to resist, the Alco S6
Author: DCA
Date: 10-04-2010 - 11:26

It's nice to see photos of SP units from that era. In the 60's I worked on several RR's (interspersed with some military time and pursuing a college degree) as a brakeman or combined switchman/brakeman. Switch engines from all the major builders were in use, but I felt the best were the Alco's, whether HH, S-2, S-4 or S-6. In my opinion, nothing in RR diesel sound beats that of the normally-aspirated EMD 567 with its Roots blower (Geeps were also fairly frequently used in switching), but the Alco's were the best-designed for the trainmen climbing on and off, and were quick at building up speed to kick cars. They also had considerable pulling power: I recall taking 125 cars behind one S-2 from the Santa Fe First Street yard over to Hobart Yard. Granted, it's slightly downhill along the L.A. River, and the speed on those daily transfers was very slow (aggravating drivers on Downey Road as the evening commute was underway) but the little Alco's could handle a lot of cars.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Hard to resist, the Alco S6 Steve Sloan 10-03-2010 - 09:54
  1218 today OPRRMS 10-03-2010 - 10:22
  Re: Hard to resist, the Alco S6 MP 44.7 10-03-2010 - 10:23
  Re: Hard to resist, the Alco S6 DCA 10-04-2010 - 11:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com