Re: RE: Donner Double Track
Author: BOB2
Date: 10-04-2010 - 15:21

I would suggest that UP is and has been negotiating "hard ball" terms and conditions for certain improvements and uses of its ROW and/or trackage.

There have been a series of high level meetings recently, all the way up to the Secretary of Transporation, with the most senior RR executives in the nation on ARRA, IC, Amtrak, HSR, and significant funding for ports, borders, major terminals. I think we are now seeing a number of these types of moves that are linked to this "dialogue" and a change in "responsiveness" on both sides.

I think that we are going to see a series of small compromises, and some important national regional decisions to get things going, and continue "confidence building". We see this on things like Colton Crossing. Which might be regarded as a measures of trust building with the RR's that true projects of national and regional economic significance would get priority, even though a lot of locals squawked about it. I think that you may also be seeing this in UP's go ahead with the Illinois high speed and capacity projects, which are also of potentionl significant potential benefit to UP long term, as well. UP is working on a number of other important grade sep projects like the San Gabriel trench project, that also is designed to facilitate the increased Sunset capacity needs of UP. So something like this, to relieve up stream and down stream choke points, in exchange for more access, doesn't sound that far feteched.

UP has prioritized the Sunset for its own limited capital out west, but it is looking out a few years to more traffic growth over Donner, and especially on the Roseville Sacramento segment. They are rational corporations attempting to maximize stockholder performance, if shared use is to some degree a reality, then the RR's want investments and conditions that don't interfere with that performance. It's a corporation, it doesn't care who pays, as long as it gets paid, for its assets and services. I wouldn't take too much of what local UP officials say in public, as the UP's public negotiating strategy, as where they might finally end up when they get what they want.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  RE: Donner Double Track Dick Dorn 10-03-2010 - 20:16
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track Gary Hunter 10-03-2010 - 22:38
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track Track Speed 10-03-2010 - 23:51
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track JS 10-04-2010 - 05:38
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track Joe Magruder 10-04-2010 - 10:17
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track tphkl 10-04-2010 - 12:26
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track Doug 10-04-2010 - 12:27
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track BOB2 10-04-2010 - 15:21
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track Dick Dorn 10-04-2010 - 15:42
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track Al Stangenberger 10-04-2010 - 14:31
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track mook 10-04-2010 - 20:01
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track Tony 10-05-2010 - 14:24
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track LivingSteam 10-05-2010 - 23:45
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track Dr Zarkoff 10-06-2010 - 17:39
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track Craig Tambo 10-07-2010 - 00:44
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track BOB R 10-09-2010 - 14:44
  Re: RE: Donner Double Track stash 10-09-2010 - 18:36

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com