Re: Merced livid over hsr route
Author: mook
Date: 12-02-2010 - 18:21

Thanks for the map - it makes more sense now. A lot of the proposed segment will be at-grade so roads will go over - easier and cheaper to build that way. You get a lot more track miles per gigabuck in the Valley than in the more built-up areas at each end.

Given the relative lack of elevated construction, I don't think BNSF would be too worried about it. They also (if HSR dies before anything else gets connected to this piece) could of course only buy the portions that make sense. And building something that can hold up to 200mph trains on BART frequencies requires as much structure as holding up freight trains. I wouldn't worry about the electric lines either; it's all recyclable and if you leave it up without watching closely it might be recycled even if it's energized and in use (somebody did that to Sac RT one morning and somehow got away with it). And who knows: might BNSF get interested in dual-power diesels and add wire to other lines in the Valley if they get this as a starter piece?

I don't think they would have to change much of UP in Fresno. HSR would be elevated through downtown but that just goes over all the streets and other tracks. Might be an interesting duck-under to get past 41; I wouldn't want to see it go over (highest point in Fresno?).

Most of the deteriorating bridges Back East are steel and closing in on 100 years old. In my recent trips East the main impression I get of everything is rust (it does rain a lot...). I'd expect HSR's (as with newer railroad bridges and freeways) to be concrete which should hold up much better absent any really big earthquakes.

While I like the idea of doing the Tehachapi segment first (arguably the main hole in the current passenger rail system), it would cost way too much money and the grades would be too steep for contingency freight use (HSR would probably include 3 or even short 4% grades while freight likes much less than 2%). Even if the current Valley proposal could cost $4B, that's nothing compared to the likely cost of the Tehachapi segment (my guess would be 1/3-1/2 of the total cost of the system, or more if they punch straight through).

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Merced livid over hsr route synonymouse 11-30-2010 - 19:11
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route david vartanoff 12-01-2010 - 15:08
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route mook 12-01-2010 - 18:01
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route synonymouse 12-01-2010 - 23:05
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route David Maxwell 12-02-2010 - 08:08
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route crmeatball 12-02-2010 - 08:52
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route m 12-02-2010 - 10:09
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route m 12-02-2010 - 10:28
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route synonymouse 12-02-2010 - 10:54
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route m 12-02-2010 - 12:21
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route mook 12-02-2010 - 18:21
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route synonymouse 12-02-2010 - 21:15
  Re: Merced livid over hsr route Michael Mahoney 12-03-2010 - 15:39
  Fresno Bee article m 12-04-2010 - 15:38

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com